Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cpl Thomas J Lewis

Dannemois

Cpl Lewis M2/119426 Royal Army Service Corps, attd 'H' Siege Park, VIII Corps Heavy Artillery was killed in enemy aircraft raid 11th May 1918.  Can anyone help where this unit were when the raid took place.  Any help appreciated.

14 hours ago, Dannemois said:

Cpl Lewis M2/119426 Royal Army Service Corps, attd 'H' Siege Park, VIII Corps Heavy Artillery was killed in enemy aircraft raid 11th May 1918.  Can anyone help where this unit were when the raid took place.  Any help appreciated.

I don’t have anything but I visited his grave on Friday.

6ABE3387-511E-46D4-A3FB-100E69A60464.jpeg

Hi

no,

i was in the Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery and saw his details on the screen, in the visitor centre of which the following photo appeared on the screen 

as he died on that day, 100 years ago I went to pay my respects to him.

what is connection with him

6C07B13F-1010-4F3F-AB3E-E15F848CED23.jpeg

Edited by thetrenchrat22

Likewise, I have no connection, but I do have an interest.  I am a member of Gelligaer Historical Society and we have been working on a project researching those named on our local war memorials.   In February 2017, I was at an old welsh chapel taking photos of some of the gravestones of former residents of my local village.  The burial ground was in a sorry state sadly overgrown with vegetation, knotweed and bramble and it took some work to uncover some of the stones.  I uncovered a small tablet in memory of Cpl T J Lewis leaning against the gravestone of his parents.  The family were from the village of Pontlottyn, in the Rhymney Valley and one of several towns and villages within the old parish of Gelligaer.  As he is not named on any local war memorial I thought I would try and find what I could of him.

Regards, Roy

Here is a couple of photos of the print out, which I got on Friday 

4997A966-443D-4D61-922D-CE227FBF1CB0.jpeg

B2B3D29A-608F-483B-8EA4-32FB6CAFA7AB.jpeg

The piece of him going to Canada etc is interesting; can I ask how you come by the details.  Do you have a contact with a family member?

Hi, 

in the visitor centre, is a screen which shows the details of all the people who had died on each day and are buried in the cemetery next door. 

You can print off, the details that appear on the screen. 

Hence the photos are of the printed material, I printed off and whilst I was standing by his grave.  I read the details out aloud.

I know don’t who provide the details.

My intention is to write an article on Thomas John Lewis for the Society's annual journal, if it is okay with you I will use the photo of his gravestone and the details you printed off.  I would like to credit you with the image etc so can I please ask for your name.  Many thanks for your input, its very much appreciated.

Kind Regards, Roy

For the photograph, please go a head and use it, there is no need to credit me but if you must, just use ‘thetrenchrat22’

As for the details on the print out, you will need to contact the visitor centre and there details can be found online.

they may have the details of the person who supplied the information on Thomas Lewis 

Hi Roy and All

You may already have this:-

His service records are on Ancestry. He married Margaret Louise Parry on 12 Sept, 1913 at Baptist Chapel, St. Mellons, Monmouthshire.. Their daughter Margaret Nesta  Lewis was born on 2nd August, 1914. Caerleon, Mon. (Pontypool, 11a,456) In 1939 Nesta M Lewis (Lewis crossed through and HALL overwritten) born. 2.8.14 is at Preywater House, Wells, Somerset, Dairy Instructress, Travelling Itinerant. In margin "M" signifies married but page has been ripped across the date and taped back together. It looks as though he had a brother Albert John Lewis 73766, RWF  D of W 8.9.18. Here is a photo of his mother Mary Jane  nee Young 1856-1893.family tree

Trees on Ancestry. Possibly died  giving birth to a son Edgar.

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

Hi again

A Thomas Lewis, aged 26yrs is shown as an incoming passenger on the "Celtic" from New York to Liverpool on 13.12.1912, his occupation a "Rubber mfrer". This fits in with his service record which shows him as a "Vulcanizer" and the details above.  Can't be certain of the date he left for Canada, too many of the same name.

A Nesta Margaret Hall born 2.8.14. died Poole, Dorset Sept. 1992, 23,546.

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

Hello Barry

First of all thank you for your input.  I found and downloaded his service records although not so lucky finding the family tree on Ancestry.  Thomas's parents were James and Margaret Lewis.  The family gravestone states Margaret died 1893 aged 48 and James died 1909 aged 60.  Also in memory of a daughter Phoebe who died 1926.  

According to the 1881 census James and Margaret resided at Hill Street, Rhymney with son Rees Gethin (9), and daughters Mary Ann (7), Caroline (5), Phoebe Jane (2) and Martha Alice (6 mths).  A son Samuel was born c.1885 at Ryhmney.  By 1891, James had relocated the family to Union Street, Pontlottyn, where son Thomas John was born.   If you are not familiar with the area Rhymney and Pontlottyn are near neighbours and where the iron works were situated.

In 1901, James, is still at Pontlottyn with daughters Mary  and Phoebe both assistant school teachers, and daughter Martha, dress maker.  I found a good match for a Samuel H Lewis, (16) clerk and Thomas J Lewis (14) clerk boarders at Moy Road, Roath, Cardiff. 

Phoebe Jane Lewis who is mention on the family gravestone was listed on 1911 census as head teacher and boarder in Bargoed.  

I attach extract from CWGC; note it says son of Margaret Lewis, Newport Road, Cardiff and the late James Lewis.  This is obviously an error and I suspect it should read son of the late James and Margaret Lewis, husband of Margaret Lewis.

I hope this makes sense.

Regards, Roy

Cpl Tom Lewis.JPG

Hi Roy

Intriguing! Have you seen the service record for Thomas John Lewis, No.30 Glamorgan and Pem. Rifles. TFA 3.9.1908. from Gelligaer, Nr. Pontlottyn, Glamorgan. Age given 22yrs 2 months. A Clerk at the Bute Works Supply Co, Docks, Cardiff. Living at 168 Arabella St., Cardiff. 

Question 11, previous service....Yes, Canadian Rifles. Signature is Thomas J Lewis. Letter re discharge from TF dated  30 June, 1909. Also a letter from T. Lewis , 168 Mackintosh Road, Cardiff, dated 29.6.1909 stating he was applying for a discharge and returning to Canada where he would rejoin at the earliest opportunity. His discharge was approved without a fine. 

If you look at the soldiers' signatures on the Attestation Forms you will see the TF one is signed Thomas J Lewis and the  RASC one Thomas John Lewis. In my opinion this is the same person. The oath signatures are both Thomas John Lewis. The TF forms give his father as James Lewis, Albion House, Bargoed and brother Henry G Lewis, Rectory, Porthkerry, Barry.

Having looked at the trees on Ancestry which include 119426 records then clearly, according to your info.,  they have both got it wrong.  Do you know where  the plaque came from which was leaning against the gravestone of ?  his parents.

There is no other family history on the record of 119426 other than his wife and child which we know are correct. Do you have the birth cert. for Thomas John Lewis?

Do we know where the CWGC got their details from? Soldiers' effects show his widow Margaret L as  legatee or is it possible the Ancestry trees are correct as their Thomas did have a brother Henry!...........still looking....looks like Phoebe  Jane Lewis married Albert Charles Dixon, 1153 RFA. 1913.

Regards Barry

Could this be the Henry G Lewis....http://yba.llgc.org.uk/en/s2-LEWI-GET-1872.html?query=glamorgan&field=content  ????

Edited by The Inspector

Hi Roy and all

Can't leave this one alone! 

Henry Gethin Lewis born 5th April, 1872, Heol Evan Wynn, Pontlottyn, was the son of James Lewis of Albion House, Bargoed. He was an iron worker. This ties in with the Attestation forms for Thomas John Lewis into the TF. These details are  on an application for Freeman of the City of London on 9th May 1922 by Henry Gethin Lewis. James described as deceased. Henry's address, Porthkerry Park, Barry.

On the 1881 census Rees Gething Lewis is shown as 9 yrs born 1872, son of James who is an ironworker! Is this actually Henry Gethin Lewis? The census is very difficult to read. I can't find a birth for a Rees Gething Lewis. The Gethin surname comes from Jame's mother Caroline Gethin.

"Rees Gething Lewis" is not with the family in 1891 but  a Henry G Lewis is living with his uncle Samuel G Lewis at 8 Clive Place, Penarth. Samuel is shown as Merchant (Iron) and Henry as" Clerk to Iron Merchant". All the censuses and other evidence add up to Henry Gethin Lewis being the son recorded as "Rees Gething Lewis" on the 1881 census. Henry Gethin Lewis, who was the High Sheriff of Glamorgan in 1920,  died 9th Feb.1945.

What do you think?

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

LEWIS , HENRY GETHIN ( 1872 - 1945 ), merchant and financier ;

b. 5 Apr. 1872 at Pontlotyn, Glam. , s. of James and Margaret Lewis . He went to Lewis School , Pengam , and later entered the office of an uncle who was at the head of the Bute Works Supply Co. , Cardiff . He served here for 21 years, becoming a partner and, when the business was formed into a limited liability company, a director and its secretary . He compiled a series of tables which were published at Abergavenny in 1899 under the title of Redemption hire, deferred purchase, and easy payment tables ; these were adopted as a standard by the Wagon Building and Financing Corporation . In 1911 he founded the firm of Henry G. Lewis and Co., Ltd. , rolling-stock proprietors , and during World War I he supplied the Admiralty with wagons for coaling theFleet . At the close of hostilities he was one of the largest wagon-hirers in Britain . His generosity kept pace with his success. In 1927 he bought the former residence of George Davidson , Wernfawr , Harlech , and presented it to the founders of Coleg Harlech . He also bought and gave to N.L.W. the E.C. QuigginCeltic collection. He was High Sheriff of Glamorgan , 1920-21 , a governor and treasurer of the University College , Cardiff , a governor and councillor of theN.L.W. , and treasurer of the National Eisteddfod Association . In 1928 the University of Wales conferred on him the degree of LL.D. He m. in 1897 , Ann , dau. of Jenkin Llewellyn of Penarth ; they had eight children. Their home for many years was at Porthkerry , Barry , where Lewis d. on 9 Feb. 1945 .

found the above info on  Dictionary of Welsh Biography; the first line says it all.

Roy

Hi Roy

Your post 17.

You found the link which I posted at No15. Have read about the RAF connection but was sticking to the subject of the OP.

I wonder why Thomas John Lewis stated he had no previous military service when he attested to the RASC. Perhaps it was because he had stated he would rejoin in Canada but didn't do so after being discharged from the TF without a fine.?

What do you think now?

Regards Barry 

Edited by The Inspector

Barry

I truly believe you are on the right track with regards to Henry Gethin and I am in the middle of writing an email to Rhiannon Cory to see if she can confirm our findings.  I will let you know if I have a reply.  

Roy 

15 hours ago, Dannemois said:

Barry

I truly believe you are on the right track with regards to Henry Gethin and I am in the middle of writing an email to Rhiannon Cory to see if she can confirm our findings.  I will let you know if I have a reply.  

Roy 

Hi Roy and all

If you zoom in on the 1881 census and scroll down from "Rees" to the Lloyd family  @ 152 Hill St. (15 down) you will see "Hy a Lloyd" , scroll back to "Rees" and you can then see the downstroke on the 2nd letter "y". There never was a  Rees Gething Llewis.  Ancestry got the transcription wrong!!!! Amendment submitted.(1871 census confirms Henry Albert Lloyd for Hy. a Lloyd)

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

• 5 years later...

Hello everyone,

I was intrigued to come across this thread online while researching my great-grandfather Henry Gethin Lewis of Porthkerry, nr Barry, Glamorgan. This, just in case anyone's still reading!

I was very moved by your discussion of his younger brother Thomas, whose story was unknown to me. But the family likeness in his picture is striking. Thank you so much the respect and love shown in visiting his grave on the 100th anniversary of his death: we will certainly be making a visit. And for the information relating to his memorial at Pontlotyn. Now I also know where to find the graves of my great-great grandparents. James and Margaret Lewis. Much appreciated.  

We have always been a family that loves to talk history, which is why I was surprised not to have known about Thomas. I wonder if it is because the timing of his death coincided with a  trauma in our branch of the family in 1918: when my then 18-year-old grandfather, also Henry Gethin Lewis, who was in the Royal Flying Corp, was shot down, missing and presumed dead. Thankfully he survived, was taken PoW and went on to live a long and happy life.  Am hoping to find out more about his time as a teenaged PoW in Germany on this site. 

Below is a link to short cine film of the Lewis family at Porthkerry shortly after WW1, which is held at the British Film Institute -- it includes a funny story about how it got there. The boys featured larking going on a shoot and skating are Thomas' nephews.

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-porthkerry-park-and-viaduct-1925-online

I grew up at Porthkerry, it was an idyllic place and always a central rendez-vous for the wider family. Lovely to imagine Thonas being there. 

Best wishes to all 

Jane Gethin Lewis 

On 15/05/2018 at 20:56, The Inspector said:

Soldiers' effects show his widow Margaret L as  legatee

Thomas John LEWIS, 119426, Army Service Corps

image.png.973f78bd2ce273d3b9cffcffccabe18c.png

Image thanks to WFA/Fold3

Pension index cards at WFA/Fold3 show widow Margaret Louisa LEWIS, b.30.6.87 and a daughter Margaret Nesta LEWIS, b. 2.8.14, 64 Newport Rd, Cardiff - initially awarded 21/8 pw from 25.11.18 [As he was a Cpl = 15/- plus 6/8 pw] she was later successful in getting a higher Alternative Pension of 46/7 pw awarded 9.5.19 [as would have been based on/as 2/3rd of her late husband's proven pre-war/service employment income]

M

Edited by Matlock1418
add pension card image

3 hours ago, Jane Gethin Lewis said:

my then 18-year-old grandfather, also Henry Gethin Lewis, who was in the Royal Flying Corp, was shot down, missing and presumed dead. Thankfully he survived, was taken PoW and went on to live a long and happy life.  Am hoping to find out more about his time as a teenaged PoW in Germany on this site. 

Jane, Welcome to GWF

Henry Gethin LEWIS

This seems to be him at RAF Museum StoryVault https://www.rafmuseumstoryvault.org.uk/archive/7000277532-lewis-h.g 

2Lt
Organisation Royal Air Force
Unit 70 Squadron (RAF)
Trade Observer

More details via the link.

And this https://www.casualtyforms.org/form/29713

Henry Gathin LEWIS

Consequentially think this is likely his ICRC PoW record https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/File/Details/2456853/3/2/

M

Edit: https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30868/page/10009

The undermentioned Flight Cadets are granted temp, commns. as 2nd Lts. (Observer Officers): — ... 16th Aug. 1918 ... Henry Gethin Lewis

And possibly him for 'Round 2' https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/34747/page/8108

Edited by Matlock1418
edit