Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can You Identify These?

Mark A

Sifting through and deleting some old photographs from my digital camera- I found a picture of these two relics which I'd forgotten about. Anyone know what they are or if they are of the WW1 era? They could be old camping gear for all I know. They were found near Beaumont Hamel, German lines last year...photographed and left where they were I might add!

Thanks.

Mark

post-23-1105113616.jpg

Left:

German fork and spoon set

Right:

British P15 Cavalry (sometimes also called ALH) wire cutters.

Wow, that was quick! Definitely great war then. I don't doubt your knowledge Kristoff but I thought wire cutters were great big things?

Thanks!

Mark A.

Those are MK IV wire cutters. It is an artificers/farriers tool.

It was not intended to be used like the barbed wire cutters the Infantry used, but in a pinch. It was an everyday tool used to cut wire of variuos types and horse shoe nails etc.

Joe Sweeney

Thanks Joe. I remember when we found them my friend said they looked like carpenters pincers- but it sounds like they were dropped by someone to do with horses.

Mark A,

Carpenters pincers.. Hmmn. Might not be the wire cutters.

Are they about 8 1/2 inches long?

I went back to check the description of Pincers in the Priced Vocabulary and these could very well be Carpenters Pincers described in LoC paragraph 576. Again an Artificers tool. Farriers pincers were 12" long. The description of the head being vague enough to not be certain (the PV has no illustrations)

Joe Sweeney

Joe,

I reckon 8 and half inches long is about accurate looking at the photograph. What is the Priced Vocabulary if you don't mind me asking- and what was the description?

Thanks Joe.