Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SAG Lipine POW Camp

PJS

Hello All,

I received this picture today and I would like to know anything anyone can tell me about where and what "SAG Lipine" was exactly.  The soldier on the 2nd row, 5th from the left is my Grandfather who was captured 27 May, 1918.  IRC records show that he was at Geissen POW camp and I have a postcard from him when he had been moved to KR GEF No 2002, Stammlager, at Neuhammer. 

SAG-Lipine.PNG.94b59eeffdf2201181a7d65c612753c5.PNG

Thank you.

S.A.G. Is the abbreviation for Schlesische Aktiengesellschaft, a mining company in Lipine. I suspect the building, which was owned by the SAG, is what was known as the „alte Lazarett“ (old hospital) and was used to accomodate PoWs.

If you can read German  

https://sbc.org.pl/Content/89625/chronik.pdf

Charlie

12 minutes ago, charlie2 said:

S.A.G. Is the abbreviation for Schlesische Aktiengesellschaft, a mining company in Lipine. I suspect the building, which was owned by the SAG, is what was known as the „alte Lazarett“ (old hospital) and was used to accomodate PoWs.

If you can read German  

https://sbc.org.pl/Content/89625/chronik.pdf

Charlie

Thanks Charlie. No, I don't read German (Yes, I should have paid more attention at school). 

I actually received two photos today; below is the other one.  It says "Ready to go on the 2 pm Shift, Oct 1918".  Do you think he may have actually been moved to SAG Lipine to work in the mine?

2pm-Shift.PNG.933a8d0296ac921abe453668f983b016.PNG

I think there is a very good possibility that he was employed in or at the mine. It was not unusual for PoWs to employed in the mines.

Charlie

further reading indicates that there were Zinc, Acid and Iron Works in the town which were also owned by SAG

Edited by charlie2