Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Somme 2006

Mark Hone

Believe it or not I am starting to make long term plans for the Somme 90th anniversary. I may try to take a small school group out for 1st July with the 'main body' following in October half term, as usual. It's a good few years since I stayed on the Somme and the nearest I have stayed in recent years on a school trip was Douai. Does anyone know of suitable school accommodation within striking distance of the battlefields that is currently in existence or is under development, perhaps with the anniversary in mind? I'd rather be a bit nearer than e.g Arras if possible.Also has anyone started planning for the 90th anniversary? I was there on 1st July for the 70th but school and examination commitments have kept me away since.

Mark - as I understand it there is a lot planned for the anniversaries in July 2006, and the Somme Tourisme people are expecting large numbers of visitors. I know some accommodation has been pre-booked for quite a few years, and that some tour companies have already block-booked hotels in Amiens, Arras and Cambrai. Smaller hotels may already be fully booked? And maybe B&Bs?

There isn't any 'school accommodation' like there is at Ypres, down on the Somme, and I know that most groups stay in Flanders and travel down. There is a youth hostel in Arras - in 'barbed wire square' - but I don't know what it is like.

If you are going to do this I would act on it fairly shortly.

There is a camp site at Authuille.

Details are:

CAMPING BELLEVUE, 25 rue d'Albert - 80300 Authuille. Phone : 03 22 74 59 29 Fax : 03 22 74 05 40

It is used by many British visitors and I have friends who have mobile homes there, who speak highly of it.

I always offer the Best Western in Albert (aka Hotel Picarde) as an option. I know some other pals have had different experiences, but mine was quite pleasant. The rooms are fine, the location is 'near' Albert, though not casual walking distance. There was a decent parking lot so I didn't have to fight for street parking, and I paid a reasonable rate. I think for a school trip you should be fine.

Andy

BTW how is your planning for this Spring's trip coming?

And Andy the food at Royal Picardie is terrific! Good place and I have stayed there twice. It's not too much to walk to town from there.

the food at Royal Picardie is terrific!

Relatively speaking..... I think the best quote regarding eating out in Albert comes from Stephen O'Shea in "Back to the Front".

'The dining room in my hotel in Albert proves that it is possible to eat badly in France.'

Althought I did not eat at the Picardie, I found the Mexican/Italian restaurant where I ate fit his description well.

Andy

• 8 months later...

Hi! We are new members of the Great War Forum and congratulate everybody involved for a very interesting, informative and diverse site.

We have been visiting the battlefields of the Somme annually (and sometimes bi-annually if Paul's work allows) for some years. We are very lucky in that we live on the Kent coast (if Paul stands on his chair and looks out of his office window, on a clear day he can see France!) and it is very easy for us to "pop over" for a few days. We always stay at the Royal Picardie and must say that we have never had any problems there and have always found the staff friendly and helpful and the restaurant extremely good.

We are planning to visit the Somme for the 90th Anniversary and, this time, are taking some friends who have expressed an interest, especially in the Serre region, as they believe they may have some relatives who were members of a "Pals" division. We attended the 80th Anniversary and there was no problem with attending the ceremonies etc as far as we can recall. Over the last ten years or so, there seems to have been a renewed interest in the Great War and we were wondering whether, because of this, there may be larger numbers attending and some of the commemorative events will be "ticket only"?

We visited Normany last year for the D-Day commemorations and spoke to some of the veterans, who had not been able to attend some ceremonies because the places had been taken up by "important people" i.e. politicians and dignitories! Unbelievable! Although this is obviously not going to happen at the 90th and any veteran left living who is able to attend will obviously and rightly have pride of place, will ordinary members of the public be able to attend the ceremonies to pay their respects or will be have to apply for tickets beforehand? We would be grateful if any member of the Forum has any information on this.