Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/Lt G.B.Smith O&BLI

PhilB

This is 2/Lt G.B.Smith, friend of Tolkien, as a supernumerary 2/Lt with the O&BLI, before transfer to 19 LF. Why would he have those collar adornments? Phil B

post-23-1105098072.jpg

Those are red cloth staff 'gorget' patches showing he was serving on the staff of a headquarters. They were worn by all staff officers but this practice has ceased and are today worn by all full colonels and above.

Thanks, Max, I rather suspected that. It`s just that he joined the O&BLI as a supernumerary 2/Lt in Dec 14 and left them in mid 15 to the LF. There is no suggestion in the book (Tolkien and the Great War) that he served other than as an ordinary subaltern with the O&B. He certainly doesn`t appear to have served outside the battalion structure. Were there any posts inside a battalion that would have merited the tabs? Phil B

PS. He died after being struck in the right arm and buttock by fragments from a bursting shell. The wounds were considered slight, but 2 days later he developed gas gangrene in the thigh wound. He was operated on but sank quickly and died at 03.30 on 3/12/16 at Warlincourt. Age 22.

Is it possible for a close up photo of the collars as I believe that officers in the Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry wore buttoned cords instead of metal collar badges. It may well be staff tabs as max7474 has mentioned, but I have my suspicion.

Good point. The photo is not clear but should there not be a reconisable patch either side of the piping then the collar piping and button would be regimental embellishments instead of a collar badge. This would mak sense and I stand corrected.

No, these are not Staff Gorget patches. Officers of The Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry did not adopt collar badges but instead wore a regimental button and gimp on their uniforms, service dress included.

Here's another photo of officers from the Oxs & Bucks taken in Arras c.1917.

From memory I believe the British Guards regiments (Coldstreams, Grenadiers, etc) in WW1 also didn't wear collar dogs.

post-23-1105571990.jpg