Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Alexander Cullen Davidson

OLD ROBIN HOOD

Greetings from the Forest of Sherwood  on a beautiful day.

My current research project may not belong in this section , if not then I am sorry.

The name is Alexander Cullen Davidson of the Mercantile Marine who was a qualified ships master.

I have what looks like a medal index card which states that he was Deceased,

His medals were sent to his widow Ida Beatrice Davidson of 35 Howard St , North Shields. in 1921.

He was entitled to the Mercantile Marine Medal & British War Medal.

His place of birth was Aberdeen  on the card his year of birth is 1881 but the Captains Register of

Lloyds of London says 1879.

So that is all that I have.  I don't normally buy anything other than army medals but this one looked

so interesting that I made an exception. 

So if anyone can help I will be most grateful.

This man deserves to be remembered.

Old Robin Hood

Scottish records show that Alexander Cullen Davidson was born 1879 in St. Nicholas, Aberdeen.

He married Ida Beatrice Ferguson in 1907 in Tynemouth.

Shields Daily News 31 May 1922

DAVIDSON—To the memory of my dear husband Alexander Cullen Davidson, who was accidentally drowned. May 31, 1915 while on service. Fondly remembered by his wife Ida and children.—35 Howard Street.

Shields Daily News 4 February 1958

DAVIDSON. 35 Howard St. on Feb. 1. aged 72 years, Ida Beatrice. the dearly beloved wife of the late Alexander Cullen Davidson and dearly beloved mother of Ida. Cortege leaving residence Wednesday. 1.45 p.m.. for service In Christ Church 2.0 p.m. followed by interment at Preston Cemetery 2.15. p.m.

Ken

Hi Ken

Very many thanks. I  have had this medal for about five years and never found  a thing about it in spite of trying.

Thank you again

Old Robin Hood

His Board of Trade Certificates are

Second Mate  1899

First Mate 1902

Master 1906.

Hi Mark

You always find interesting information, as usual very many thanks.

Old Robin Hood

Greetings from the Forest of Sherwood on this beautiful day

Yesterday I found by chance that the son of Alexander Cullen Davidson whose name was James Ferguson Davidson

also became a Merchant Navy officer and was killed on December 25th 1940 while serving as second officer in the

S.S.JUMNA . It was sunk by the German cruiser ADMIRAL HIPPER.

So here were two men , father and son , who served their country and died in two wars.

Old Robin Hood

• 5 years later...

Thank you for this information. I am currently researching Alexander Cullen Davidson for a friend who is a direct descendent.