Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Visiting Caen.

DuncanBro

Hello all, I'm taking a group of friends over to France for some battlefield touring and it was suggested to stay in Caen for a while - see some of the D-day sights - before going on to Flanders. Can anyone recommend a place to stay in Caen for a group of blokes in there 40s, nothing too posh or too rough either. They like their beers so somewhere we can roll back too after a night out. Also, what's Caen like, I read it was quite modern as it was flattened in the war?

Cheers 

Duncan

Edited by DuncanBro

When visiting Normandy, I would recommend staying in Arromanche at the Normandy Beach Hotel. It is further out than Caen, but it is located in the middle of the Battlefields. The owner Adrian is a superb host and knows the local battlefields very well, so can give loads of advice on where to visit.
Just mention my, actual, name Trevor (from the Prince of Wales' Pub) if he wants to know who recommended him :)

Sepoy

See here
http://www.normandybeach.co.uk/
or

https://www.facebook.com/normandybeach/

I must admit that Sepoy's suggestion does look good but of course there is a lot more to Normandy than just the beaches.  If you want to look at the actions around Caen such as Op Epsom and Op Goodwood (and why wouldn't you want to look at those battles?) staying in the city makes some sense.  I have used the Ibis and the Mercure which are very much as you would expect them to be. They are on the waterfront in the centre of town.

2 hours ago, Gareth Davies said:

They are on the waterfront in the centre of town

And if staying in Caen - where else would one rather be than on the water front!

A few years ago, I stayed in Caen on a Leger Tours Normandy trip, and we stayed at the Hotel Carline Caen Nord.

It's a little way outside the city, but is on a main tram route, so it's easy to get in and out of the city, so that was okay. It's 2 star, which means that it's pretty basic, but okay for all that.

two years ago we went on a World Wars tour in between two marches and we stayed at the resort "Pierre et Vacances" in Port-en-Bessin-Huppain. 

I know, not Caen ... it's on Omaha Beach, right in the middle of all the sights of Normandy. 

It's apartments or little houses, so you're in full autonomy but we found them quite cheap and very nice !! 

Marilyne

Edited by Marilyne

Thanks everyone, that's really useful. I'll look those suggestions up. The guys I'm going with aren't that into WW1 or WW2 unfortunately, so I'll need to get a mixture of war and non-war stuff. I got them to go on a tour of The Ypres Salient which they enjoyed last year, but one day of that was enough for them. Personally I couldn't get enough... 

When I took groups of US Students to Normandy (on a budget) we stayed in Dives Sur Mer  easy access to Caen, and via Pegasus Bridge, to Arromanches and the beaches.

We started in the UK and went to Hastings  so this was a good "full circle" as Dives was where William's fleet anchored prior to the invasion. My students really enjoyed the museum at Caen. Dives served us well as a 2 day base in the area. IIRC we stayed in an Etap Motel.

Chris

Edited by 4thGordons