Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMHS Valdivia & 31st Divisional Artillery

Fi Shepherd

Hi Folks,

Can anyone please help me track down information pertaining to HMHS Valdivia for 1 May 1916, or indeed the medical unit on board?  I'm researching Cpl William John Lee 120587 who died on board and was buried at sea.  He is listed as RH & RFA from 56th Bty.  Register of Effects notes him as part of 31 Div.  It looks like his unit was undertaking Suez Canal defence at Qantara (No 3 sector), but I can't find any pertinent war diaries for his unit (stand fast 31 Div Artillery for March 1916, which shows they were recalled back into France, ready for the Somme offensive), so have no real insight into what his unit got up to.  Nor can I find his cause of death - am presuming sickness but just don't know.  Any steers gratefully accepted!

Many thanks,  Fi

1 hour ago, Fi Shepherd said:

Register of Effects notes him as part of 31 Div. 

Fi,

It actually says "31st Divisional Ammunition Park" which was a unit of the Army Service Corps to which he was attached. There is a War Diary for 31 Ammunition Sub Park (260 Company A.S.C.) but it starts in France in June 1916. I presume, as he is commemorated on the Chatby Memorial, that he was on his way from Alexandria to France. Either on his way home or to catch up with 31st Division. As you say, the War Diary for the hospital ship appears elusive. Wish I could help more.

Hi David,

Many thanks for the bit about the Ammunition Park - couldn't make sense of that!  Out of interest, and to better my own research techniques, how did you find a 31 Ammunition Sub Park / 260 Coy ASC War Diary?  Thanks for looking!

Fi

Each Ammunition (Sub) Park was numbered after the Division it served in. They were also essentially a numbered mechanical transport company of the Army Service Corps. The artillery personnel attached for care of ammunition was 1 Officer and batman for HQ, 1 Sgt, 1 Corporal and 18 Gunners per section. There were 3 or 4 sections.

The War Diary from June 1916 can be found here - http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/042a97bf4bc04f909354addee70700bb

His number of 120587 puts him enlisting in late October 1915 at No. 4 Depot RFA, Woolwich. I believe the 56 Bty should really be 56th Reserve Battery which was in 4A Reserve Brigade RFA and linked to Woolwich. After his training it looks like he was attached directly to 260th Coy. ASC which left England on January 20, 1916.

Edited by David Porter

I have been unable to trace a War Diary for 31 Divisional Ammunition Park (or Sub-Park) for its time in Egypt.

It is a confusing peculiarity of the Army's logistics system that these DAPs (and Divisional Supply Columns) were MT Companies of the ASC, but despite their names, they were not part of the divisions they were supposed to serve. They were originally Lines of Communication troops, but from mid-1916 they became Corps Troops. This might explain why their diaries are difficult to find.

Ron

• 2 weeks later...

David, Ron,

Many thanks for looking - and also for those explanations.  Really helpful in adding to my knowledge of that theatre of war, and also to how the army configured itself behind the lines!

Fi