The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lord RDSM Cardoness

stevenbecker

Mates,

Do you have any details on this man?

He is shown as;

2/Lt    att No2 CTC depot to RCo/CTC 9-17 

I could not find who he is but I record him in the CTC in Egypt/Palestine during the war?

Any ideas welcome

S.B

Hello

Odd how there is nothing on google for a Lord

what is your source of info ?  maybe a typo in name ?

The 'Roll of Baronets' shown on the London Gazette of 1915 mentions this man - perhaps the family surname is Maxwell ?

image.png.538b73dcdfcd5abfad534aabd89a05a3.png

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Maxwell of Cardoness is/was a Scottish baronetcy- one of the baronets being the subject of a verse by Robert Burns. As such, "Lord" is wrong as a Baronet is a hereditary "Sir".

Your man is likely to be a casualty of the Great War, if you have records of him in the Middle East. The IWM listing of war memorials has one on the Cardoness estate, up in Scotland- which,inter alia, says:

SACRED TO THE MEMORY OF/ WILLIAM FRANCIS JOHN/ MAXWELL/ LIEUTENANT 5TH KING'S OWN SCOTTISH BORDERERS, ONLY/ SON OF SIR WILLIAM FRANCIS MAXWELL OF CARDONESS BART./ FELL IN ACTION AT GALLIPOLI ON 13TH AUGUST 1915 AGED 30/ YEARS. FEARLESS AND BRAVE IN WAR, GENTLE AND/ AFFECTIONATE IN PEACE HE WON THE APPROVAL OF HIS/ GENERAL, THE ADMIRATION OF HIS COMRADES, AND/ THE LOVE OF ALL WHO KNEW HIM./ SUB UMBRA ALARUM TUARUM PROTEGE NOS

Edited by Guest

Maxwell of Cardoness is/was a Scottish baronetcy- one of the baronets being the subject of a verse by Robert Burns. As such, "Lord" is wrong as a Baronet is a hereditary "Sir".

Your man is likely to be a casualty of the Great War, if you have records of him in the Middle East. The IWM listing of war memorials has one on the Cardoness estate, up in Scotland- which,inter alia, says:

SACRED TO THE MEMORY OF/ WILLIAM FRANCIS JOHN/ MAXWELL/ LIEUTENANT 5TH KING'S OWN SCOTTISH BORDERERS, ONLY/ SON OF SIR WILLIAM FRANCIS MAXWELL OF CARDONESS BART./ FELL IN ACTION AT GALLIPOLI ON 13TH AUGUST 1915 AGED 30/ YEARS. FEARLESS AND BRAVE IN WAR, GENTLE AND/ AFFECTIONATE IN PEACE HE WON THE APPROVAL OF HIS/ GENERAL, THE ADMIRATION OF HIS COMRADES, AND/ THE LOVE OF ALL WHO KNEW HIM./ SUB UMBRA ALARUM TUARUM PROTEGE NOS

Interesting.

I wondered if his father might still be a baron - not a Lord of Parliament, but a Scottish feudal baron. See this link (apologies, Wikipedia but it seems OK):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barons_in_Scotland

However as far as the title is concerned, the baronetcy would outrank the feudal barony.

RM

SUB UMBRA ALARUM TUARUM PROTEGE NOS

'Under the shadow of thy wings', apparently.

1 hour ago, HarryBrook said:

You are looking for Lord Ronald Douglas Stuart Mar CARDROSS

Actually, you are looking for Lord Cardross, whose forenames were Ronald Douglas Stuart Mar. Sorry to be pedantic but there is a difference.

Kelly's Directory for 1921 says that Ronald Douglas Stuart Mar Erskine, Lord Cardross, was the only son of the earl of Buchan. Born 1878, served in S Africa 1900-02, lieutenant Scots Guards 1901-05, transport officer (hon lt) London Mounted Brigade Field Ambulance 1915, transport officer 8 Mounted Brigade 1916-17, attached to Camel Transport Corps. gyptian EF 1917, Address 6 Alford St, Park Lane, W1; member of the Bachelors' Club.

There is no connection with the Maxwell baronetcy of Cardoness.

Ron

Always helps to get the right name 

I was looking in debretts but was clearly looking for the wrong thing 

Edited by Coldstreamer

Mates,

Many thanks, yes another problem dealing with Routine Orders and war dairies where they don't spell names correctly. Not the first man I have found and not the last amoung many I still can't find.

Thanks for sorting this bloke out, I could make the jump from Cardness to Cardross not knowing Scottish Lords.

Cheers

S.B