Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

jeremy Blake

Hi All,

I'm new to this and gather i'm one of the lucky ones that has a relative that served during the great war which his war records have survived. 

My great Grand father William Gladstone Collins Helmore  (Service number 145147, Rank Gunner) had i gather enlisted on the 12/03/17 and was posted directly to Egypt with the Royal Artillery Garrison. (R.G.A)  

I'm not a military man and being new to this i'm finding it very hard to understand his military records and find any information specifically on the various mountain battery's he was posted to and was wondering if anyone can give me some pointers on how to decipher each of the specific brigade/battery's  he served with. I would love to learn more about the time my Great Grandfathers spent in the military. The place he was and any action he may have been involved in. I've been trying to search for more information with frustration and perhaps because of my lack of experience, i just can't find anything specific to each battery/Brigade he served, only general information.

I've attached his statement of service form which shows all is posting. I also gather from one for he have been punished several time and in one instance he was give field punishment No 2, i've attach this also.

I will be very grateful for any help you can give me on this.

GBM_WO363-4_007406810_00657.jpg.a75fbfe3f869dfb5cbd1e16c2c656ed8.jpg

GBM_WO363-4_007406810_00641.jpg

Called up for service as Private, 12 Mar 17

Posted to No. 3 Depot, RGA 12 Mar 17

Posted to 5th Reserve Brigade (Mountain Battery) RGA Territorial Force on 30 Mar 17

To 12th Mountain Battery, RGA on 28 Apr 17

On 28 Jul 17 posted to Headquarters, 8th British Mountain Brigade RGA

Posted to 13th Mountain Battery, RGA on 29 Dec 18

To 11th Mountain Battery, RGA on 24 Apr 19

Posted to Headquarters, 8th Mountain Brigade, RGA 22 May 19

Posted to 8th Mountain Brigade Ammunition Column on 27 Jul 19

On 23 Jan 20 posted to 1st Brigade Ammunition Column at Kantara

Posted to 1st Battery, RGA at Alexandria on 24 Jan 20 

Posted to 24th Battery, RGA at Alexandria on 23 Feb 20

Returned to Kantara on 13 Mar 20 and embarked for the UK for demobilization on the H.T. Czaniltza from Port Said on 20 Mar 20

Demobilized on 30 Apr 20

Thank you rFlory for your reply. This looks much clearer to me now, especially because you have given me the full name of all the Abbreviations.

Best wishes.

Jeremy

Edited by jeremy Blake