Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Experimental" Cemeteries

Guest Simon Bull

Guest Simon Bull

Philip Longworth's interesting book about the history of the CWGC, "The Unending Vigil" states that the IWGC, when deciding the form of cemeteries in its early days, decided to allow Blomfield, Baker and Lutyens to design one cemetery each in order to test out and cost their ideas. These cemeteries were known as the "experimental" cemeteries.

Does anyone know which three cemeteries were the "experimental" cemeteries?

Simon Bull

Le Treport

Louvencourt

Forceville

I haven't seen the first one. Both of the others are NW of Albert and are well worth seeing. Some of the architectural features (such as the very imposing surrounding wall at Louvencourt) were clearly going to be too expensive.

Louvencourt is also notable for French headstones unlike any others.

I think I remember reading that Le Treport was the first permanent cemetery established by the War Graves Commission after the war.

Bob.

Simon,

I believe in the event that all three cemeteries were designed by Blomfield. Check out page 66 of "The Unending Vigil".

Regards

Marc

I understand that there was much experimentation, or prototyping, in the early days of the IWGC as it then was. One early cemetery from which much was learned was Peake Wood on the Somme, one of the first built on the Somme battlefields. Small and very intimate it was thought that this might prove to be the prototype for the Somme cemeteries. But when the bills for the cemetery came in it was quickly realised that the budget would not run to it and that there would have to be some provision for much larger cemeteries.

But Lutyens, Bloomfield, Baker as the main architects; and people like Cowlinshaw (Prowse Point CWGC) as back up; Kipling providing the words - what a galaxy of design and literary talent. I have heard it said that that the WW1 cemetery construction project was the last large scale building project for which HMG employed talented architects and gave them a decent budget with which to work. It still shows today.

• 2 years later...

Over 1300 images of military cemeteries and memorials worldwide

The following links show images of all three cemeteries and although not ideal in respect of showing the entire layout, they should give a general idea:

http://www.ww1cemeteries.com/ww1frenchceme.../forceville.htm

http://www.ww1cemeteries.com/ww1frenchceme...s/letreport.htm

http://www.ww1cemeteries.com/ww1frenchceme...louvencourt.htm

all three were designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield.

I visited Le Treport at the start of July and altough I did'nt find the layout outstanding I saw some Black Watch Stones with a crest for the regiment different from any where else I have visited so I guess this now explains it.

Thanks pals

Fred