Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cemeteriesand Memorials

tonycad

In my (small) collection of WW1 memoralibia, I have the poppy shown in the photograph below, which will be known to our American colleagues.

It is the US "Buddy" poppy, and on the back of the label is the message "Assembled by Disabled Veterans. For Veterans Assistance Programs of Veterans of Foreign Wars". In the centre of the poppy there is what appears to be a bunch of grapes, but someone will undoubtedly correct me on this!.

I was given the poppy on a visit to the US cemetery of Romagne, to the North of Verdun on 26th September 1998, during a colourful French-American commemoration of the 80th Anniversary of the start of the American Meuse-Argonne offensive. There were French and American Honour Guards, Generals, Ambassadors and Presidential wreaths, and speeches, against a backdrop of re-enactors in the army uniforms of the time. Bkristof were you there. The ceremony was brought to a close by a fly-past of American planes from Lakenheath.

A lot of effort had gone into bringing all these people to Romagne, and I was impressed by the placing of the American and French flags under each headstone in the cemetery of just over 13,000 burials. See the photograh below.

I hope this of some interest.

Tony

post-19-1105047014.jpg