Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Zeebrugge Raid centenary

domwalsh

Remembering the gallant men of the 4th Battalion Royal Marines and the other naval forces that took part in the raid

Saw on the local TV News  that Dover Council remembered the British Navy raids on Zeebrugge & Ostend and gave the Zeebrugge Bell eight rings.

Pity there seemly was not a naval vessel present in Dover harbour to remember the Dover Patrols action on St George's Day 1918.

Dabtoe

Remembering them all, and especially Captain Henry Halahan RN and Wing Commander Frank Brock, both killed on the raid. :poppy:

Remembering my Great Grandmother's brother Leading Seaman Ernest E Henniker, who was drowned when

the North Star was sunk.

I attended the march through Dover today, and can report that hundreds turned out to show their respect.

Visited St Jame's Cemetery after, when it re-opened to the public, and met another GWF member.

An exhibition called Twisting The Tigers Tail about the raid opened in Dover Museum last Saturday, and

runs till the end of the year.

Large crowds also watched the Royal Marines march through Deal in the afternoon, and the schools shut

at 2pm so the shoolchildren could watch the parade

Geoff

17 hours ago, dabtoe said:

Pity there seemingly was not a naval vessel present in Dover harbour to remember the Dover Patrols action on St George's Day 1918.

There is always a naval vessel of the Great War era in Dover Harbour.  The remains of HMS Glatton, the monitor that was scuttled in the harbour following  an explosion in her forward magazine in September 1918,  are buried beneath the apron of the car ferry terminal.  Her bell hangs on the inside of the harbour wall near her resting place.

Probably the wrong place to mention this but this morning I received a copy of 'The Raid On Zeebrugge.....As Seen Through The Eyes Of Captain Alfred Carpenter VC' by Carl Decaluwe and Tomas Termote. I only found out about it 2 days ago when doing further research. It's lavishly illustrated with photographs (many new to me) of the raid that Carpenter used on his post-war talks.

21 hours ago, sdparker said:

Remembering my Great Grandmother's brother Leading Seaman Ernest E Henniker, who was drowned when

the North Star was sunk.

I attended the march through Dover today, and can report that hundreds turned out to show their respect.

Visited St Jame's Cemetery after, when it re-opened to the public, and met another GWF member.

An exhibition called Twisting The Tigers Tail about the raid opened in Dover Museum last Saturday, and

runs till the end of the year.

Large crowds also watched the Royal Marines march through Deal in the afternoon, and the schools shut

at 2pm so the shoolchildren could watch the parade

Geoff

Good to meet you Geoff

in St James cemetery yesterday.My wife and I had a very memorable day honouring the huge sacrifice the men of the Zeebrugge Raid made.

It was also a great pleasure to meet the granddaughter and other relatives (all the way from Australia)of Leo Newland who fought with my grandfather,Albert Callf on HMS Vindictive 

Regards Richard