Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RAF Receipt?

CSMMo

This was found in the pocket of my grandfather's uniform coat and probably hadn't been out of it since de-mob'ed in 1919. With it was a railway ticket from Alexandria to Cairo ("d'Alexandrie au Caire") dated 8 December 1918. I know that he was dispatched to the 3rd School of Aeronautics in Egypt from Salonika in the fall of 1918 and apparently completed a course of instruction in either flying or aerial observation for artillery (as he was an RGA Officer). I can read most of the items but not all. Can anyone make sense of it all?

Mike Morrison

It looks like a Kit/Uniform item returns receipt issue slip from the QM stores,Signed on Behalf of the QM by a Sergeant in respect of Lt.Morrison D. late 23 TS{Training Squadron?}

Mike

The heading looks like 60TDS - which would fit, as No 60 Training Depot Station was at Aboukir, Egypt. No 3 School of Aeronautics was at Heliopolis.

No 23 Training Squadron at Aboukir was part of the 20th Training Wing, in No 26 (Training) Group, centred on Heliopolis.

Regards

Gareth

Mike, are you after the items in the list?

Coats Leather 1

Helmet Crash 1

Scull cap 1

thigh boots 1

overshoes gartered 1

gloves woolen 1

gauntlets 1

A. L. Hartridge Sgt.

For Q. M.

Tom

You folks are amazing. That fills in a few blanks I had about that brief interlude with the RAF. Thank you all so much. I'm still not sure if my grandfather (Lt. Daniel Morrison) was training to fly or to observe artillery, but that gives me much more specific data about where he was assigned in Egypt. My learning is still at the novice stage, but it amazes me to think of aerial observers for artillery in WW1.

Just for kicks, I've added a scan of the railway ticket. Any idea why it was printed in French? (And what it says?!)

Mike

Basically it says that the ticket is valid only from the date written below and that it must be kept until the destination has been reached.

Tom