Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Roy Alsbury

alex revell

I've been asked by a friend if I can find the service details of her great grand father. Roy Alsbury RFC/RAF. She is sure he was commissioned, pretty sure he was a pilot or observer.  Any help would be appreciated

Many thanks

Alex

Hi,

Someone may have better luck that me, but if not how convinced is your friend that she has the correct spellings and actual first name of her great grand-father - its just there are no Great War RAF Officers papers for anyone with that surname, he's not on the RAF day 1 muster roll for other ranks as being transferred in from the RFC and RNAS, there is no likely Medal Index card for any Alsbury serving with the Royal Flying Corps, there is no match for him on the Census of England and Wales 1841 - 1911, or the Census of Scotland 1841 - 1901, no appearance for a Roy Alsbury in the English birth records before 1923, and no commission recorded in the London Gazette  and no match for an Alsbury in Flight Magazine between 1914 and 1920. BTW, when I try a wider search for a Roy Alsbury born earlier enough to have served in the Great War, all the matches that come up are in the United States.

Of course there could be scenarios that would account for all of those and for him still to have been a commissioned officer in the RAF, but would be good to double-check with the source - a bit more info about the great grandfather like where and when born might help.

Cheers,

Peter

23 minutes ago, PRC said:

Hi,

Someone may have better luck that me, but if not how convinced is your friend that she has the correct spellings and actual first name of her great grand-father - its just there are no Great War RAF Officers papers for anyone with that surname, he's not on the RAF day 1 muster roll for other ranks as being transferred in from the RFC and RNAS, there is no likely Medal Index card for any Alsbury serving with the Royal Flying Corps, there is no match for him on the Census of England and Wales 1841 - 1911, or the Census of Scotland 1841 - 1901, no appearance for a Roy Alsbury in the English birth records before 1923, and no commission recorded in the London Gazette  and no match for an Alsbury in Flight Magazine between 1914 and 1920. BTW, when I try a wider search for a Roy Alsbury born earlier enough to have served in the Great War, all the matches that come up are in the United States.

Of course there could be scenarios that would account for all of those and for him still to have been a commissioned officer in the RAF, but would be good to double-check with the source - a bit more info about the great grandfather like where and when born might help.

Cheers,

Peter

I can't see anything obvious either Peter.

Craig

My search results were the same as the two previous posts.  I could not locate any service records for R.F.C./R.A.F. Other Ranks or officers, nor

Medal Index Cards or casualty reports for Alsbury with any forenames beginning with R.  Also, there were no records for variant surname spellings,

such as Albury, Albery, Alberry, Alburry, Allbery, Allbury, Allsbury in British, Canadian or Australian service record archives.  If he served with the R.A.F.

in the postwar years, his service record may still be filed at the Ministry of Defence.  Also, Medal Index Cards for R.F.C./R.A.F. personnel with no prior

service with the Army or R.N.A.S. have not been released by the Ministry of Defence.  Alsbury's records may be at the MoD.

Josquin

Many thanks everybody. I'm beginning to wonder if she meant her grandfather, not her great- grandfather, who would have a different surname. I'll check and try your patience again. :-)

• 6 months later...

Nearest I can find is that Alice Ellen Alesbury, nee Hazeldine (Aunt to a Roy Alesbury born 1924) served in the WRAF in WW1, service number 21483.

The first Roy Alesbury that I have born in UK was born in 1918 at Pontypridd and I think therefore that any Roy Alsbury / Alesbury / Aylesbury that served in RAF would have to have been in WW2.

Colin Alsbury

Guild of One Name Studies for Alsbury / Alesbury / Aylesbury etc worldwide

Try Albury, it’s my surname & I know that there were family from around London in the RFC!

I can’t remember any details but will try & find out some more information.