Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cheltenham, Glos:- Soldiers mapping project

dink999

In early 2014 an idea came about to plot on large scale maps where all the soldiers named on the war memorial in The Promenade, Cheltenham lived.

The results were displayed at an event to commemorate 100 years since the start of WW1 in August 2014 and can be seen below.

Now thanks to a lottery funded digital mapping project called http://www.kypwest.org.uk/ photos of these men and others from the town who served or were wounded/decorated and published in the Cheltenham Chronicle and Gloucestershire Graphic have been pinned to their abode in the town and the surrounding area.

A handful of volunteers started pinning just 2 months ago and there are now around 1,200 images online with another 800 to do before we move on to the city of Gloucester.

The website allows you to search by a street name or postcode and also by surname or other keyword.

Dave

Chelt_WW1.JPG

Cheltenham WWI Photos Online.pdf

Do you have a direct link ? And can you search by regiment ?

thanks. had to tick the box that said "world war 1" as it wasnt defaulted to that  to get the search to work - I must say that any search engine or link that requires a user guide to do a simple search isnt very user friendly - especially using a phone or a tablet Id have given up pretty quickly - which I did earlier until sat on a lap top with your confirmation if I looked I would actually find something

Once i got it going I found a good level of information on there - especially like the link to the newspaper article. Using a poppy as point marker is a good touch

thanks for sharing