Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ors British Cemetery grave, picture?

mike gunnill

If anyone is visiting the Ors British Cemetery, I would be grateful of a photograph - or two!

I would like a photograph of the grave of Lc Frederick George Cosham, 16th Battalion, Lancashire Fusiliers from Paddock Wood, Kent. He died November 4th, 1918. Also if possible a general picture of the cemetery.  This will help with my research.  Grateful if someone can help, please?

Thank you

Michael Gunnill.

Or this one

Sorry, I have now added the correct link to the British Cemetery

Edited by temptage
wrong link

The second link is to Ors Communal Cemetery, the man was buried in Ors British Cemetery (although the nice man might nip round for you?)

Max

On 4/12/2018 at 10:57, MaxD said:

The second link is to Ors Communal Cemetery, the man was buried in Ors British Cemetery (although the nice man might nip round for you?)

Max

I have changed the link. I didnt realise there were two Cemeteries in Ors.

• Admin

General view for you 

Michelle 

EE4E3A57-E888-48C5-9BB7-21A52717A714.jpeg

Many thanks Michelle. I am grateful. This may be a silly question, but how did the cemetery feel. Was it peaceful, could you hear any noise from the village, close to the canal? Just trying to paint an image in my mind. Thx again. There are some very nice folk on this web site.

x

• Admin

It’s a quiet place Mike. You do hear the trains as the railway isn’t far away, and the odd car. Lots of birdsong. The day I last visited was rather dull and cool but I’ve visited in high summer before now. 

You used to have to walk across two cow pat splattered fields to access it but a new access route has been put in place which is much better, though longer. 

Michelle 

Ten years ago, when we visited the wife's grandfather (106797 Pioneer James William Allen, 218th Field Coy. RE) the cemetery was approached with some trepidation. At that time the CWGC were advising that, if you saw the bull in the field, it might be best to go on another day! As Michelle has described, it's a very peaceful place with a feeling that it is "off the beaten track" and in the middle of nowhere. Interestingly though, it didn't feel lonely. It was as if that part of the world had remained unchanged since the the day the troops left it behind.

You will probably get a good feel for it by using Google Maps.

The photo attached is James and his wife.

Regards,

Mike

PIC00582.JPG

Thank you for your comments they help. I am grateful.

Mike

9 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

It’s a quiet place Mike. You do hear the trains as the railway isn’t far away, and the odd car. Lots of birdsong. The day I last visited was rather dull and cool but I’ve visited in high summer before now. 

You used to have to walk across two cow pat splattered fields to access it but a new access route has been put in place which is much better, though longer. 

Michelle 

Thank you Michelle. It helps to hear these words , thank you.

Mike

8 hours ago, MaxD said:

Michael

Have you read the report of the action of 4 Nov 1918 in the battalion's war diary?

Max

MaxD: No I haven't read the Battalion war diary for 4th November 1918. How do I find this? Sorry I am new here! I still don't know how my man died, but I think he was with Lt-Colonel James Marshall trying to cross the Sambre-Oise canal. He was killed that day, but his parents didn't  know until April 1919.

The Battalion diary was very useful. Except it only details the officer dead for that day. I am sure it was November 4th while trying to cross the Sambre Oise Canal. Either when trying to repair pontoons under the direction of Lt Col Marshall, who was later shot on the east bank or while crossing. The search for LC Frederick George Cosham continues.

Thank you to all on here, I mentioned before - there are some very helpful folk on this forum.

Mike

That is totally normal, very few diaries mention the other ranks by name, that was not the function of the war diary.  The battalion diary clearly describes the 4 Nov 1918 attempts to cross the canal and the part played by Lt Col Marshall in "arranging the men in their efforts to repair the bridge".  The brigade casualty figures for killed that day were 83 with 157 missing.  I fear that you won't find him named in any official document that specifically ties him to that action if that is what you are looking for.  Certainly, it is overwhelmingly likely that he was involved in the action rather than, say, employed elsewhere for the day.  It may be that there is a memoire somewhere by a Lancashire Fusilier that mentions names, an approach to the Fusilier Museum may be worthwhile??

Max