Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

poisened cigars

Guest Hootsmon

Guest Hootsmon
:o can anyone verify the use of poisened cigars being given to British troops in India or MiddleEast . My family tell me this is how my great uncle died @1920-26 :huh: Dave & Teresa

gee, if this is true... What a way to die. :(

Guest Pete Wood

Wells and water holes were sometimes poisoned, accidentally and deliberately, in both wars.

I've also heard tales (stories?) about glass being put into food given to soldiers in the 'Emerald Isle' - but, I confess, I've not heard of poisoned cigars.

In his Advance from Mons Bloem refers to his unit finding cigars unaccountably lying around the countryside. Apparently, some considered the Brits had left tainted cigars to tempt tired Landser, but after trying some they proved to be harmless. His men decided that the Brits had fired them over in shells.

A strange tale!

Ste

Guest steveb21

I dont know about the Turks but the British did drop opuim based cigerettes to Turkish troops before the battle of Beersheba.

This was in the hope of drugging them as we attacked?

Of cause it was mentioned to me that the aussie LH had did smoke their guide ropes for the horses, this was because they were made of hemp.

Would british Yeomanry done the same? Have you heard anything.

Can i also say that these types of stories have been told since before the Romans went to Gaul, I was told about girls who place razor blades in the privete parts to get any soldier who has sex with them as well as other stories about VD and such all made to scare the young soldier.

Cheers

S.B

Guest Hootsmon
:rolleyes: Thanks S.B It is a hard story to clarify, unless i could get hold of his death cert. Dont know who he served with in middle east, coming from Kildare could be one of many regiments i suppose. As they say theres no smoke without fire or should i say Cigars ! Cheers Teresa :o

Guest steveb21

Mate,

Can I say having been in the reseach game for a number of years that you have to treat Family stories very carefully.

As these have been built up for many years having been told and retold again and again.

I many cases they are wrong or far from correct.

My own case relates to a story on the death of my Great uncle with the British army at Mons or so the story went (he was one of three brothers, two in the AIF and one in the British Army). I found out they he in fact was KIA 3rd Sept 1918 at Mont St Quentin with the 28Bn AIF. So he wasn't on the British side killed but one of the AIF side.

So don't believe every thing you hear.

I am not saying that your family story is wrong. But keep looking.

Cheers

S.B

Can fully back what SB is saying here, my family were under the impression for years that our Great Uncle had been killed at Gallipoli. Until I did the reserach we found out he was actually killed at the Somme, and didnt even serve at Gallipoli.

cheers Aaron. :o

Guest Hootsmon

Point taken ,I will try and find out more facts from the family, as to his Regiment and take it from there .Its very intriguing though . :unsure: