Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Recovered US Dog Tags

Captain Dave

Just reading the threads on the battlefield finds, use of metal detectors etc, got me thinking. I have a friend (not me) who was given a couple of US Dog Tags from the Soloman Islands. He has no idea where the local sourced them from. Who should he return these too?

If you wanted them returned to any next-of-kin, then I would write a nice letter to the USMC (website HERE) explaing how they came to be in your possession etc. etc.

However, I wouldn't hold it against you if you kept them as there seems to be a roaring trade in WW1 tags these days.

I take it these are WW2 tags? If so, then if they are of the pre-1943 pattern (1941 pattern being in Aluminium/monel and the 1940 pattern being a copper colour)then a next of kin details and address (a long shot, but you never know!!!)will be stamped on them. If they are of the 1943 pattern with none of these details included, then you will be able to find out (roughly) which state in the US the soldier (unless of course they are the oval USMC or USN pattern tags) came from from his number (if you can't find out how, then drop me a PM). This is a start, and you can work your way on from there.

Have you checked whether or not the original owner was a casualty? Many (most?) "dug-up" tags were discarded/lost without the owner becoming a casualty.

Dave.

Have you checked whether or not the original owner was a casualty? Many (most?) "dug-up" tags were discarded/lost without the owner becoming a casualty.

Dave.

Is there a US casualty site regarding KIA or DOW from the Soloman islands in WW2?

I take it these are WW2 tags? If so, then if they are of the pre-1943 pattern (1941 pattern being in Aluminium/monel and the 1940 pattern being a copper colour)then a next of kin details and address (a long shot, but you never know!!!)will be stamped on them.

Changing the subject slightly.

I have one of these tags with the name and address cut out. The story I was told was that the GI was Polish-American and had relatives in Poland who could suffer if the Germans obtained this information. I was told that the disc was found near Bastogne.

I don't know if I believe this, or the story. For all I know an enterprising Belgian is cutting them up with a hack saw and selling them to the tourists.

One day I will have to research it.

Have you checked whether or not the original owner was a casualty?  Many (most?) "dug-up" tags were discarded/lost without the owner becoming a casualty.

Dave.

Is there a US casualty site regarding KIA or DOW from the Soloman islands in WW2?

Well, not really, but the first port of call should be the ABMC website. This gives a list of all those who were killed and whose remains are in an ABMC cemetery .Most were re-patriated and are therefore not listed, but (and this is the usefull bit) all the MIA's whose remains were not recovered should have their names on an ABMC memorial within a cemetery. These names are included on the lists.

Dave.

I have one of these tags with the name and address cut out. The story I was told was that the GI was Polish-American and had relatives in Poland who could suffer if the Germans obtained this information. I was told that the disc was found near Bastogne.

I don't know if I believe this, or the story. For all I know an enterprising Belgian is cutting them up with a hack saw and selling them to the tourists.

First I've heard of this one! What about those with German relatives or those who were Jewish? The Polish troops fighting with the allies didn't seem to take this into consideration too much, so why would a US soldier?

The NOK details were invariably of an address in the US anyway, so how would the Germans link just a surname to some people in Poland?

If it really was a serious issue, surely the soldier would simply have been issued with a 1943 patt tag (rather than a 1940 or 1941 one being defaced) by the time US troops faced the Germans (in Europe).

Personally, I'd go for the "enterprising Belgian" scenario rather than it being a historical fact! ;)

Dave.

I have one of these tags with the name and address cut out. The story I was told was that the GI was Polish-American and  had relatives in Poland who could suffer if the Germans obtained this information. I was told that the disc was found near Bastogne.

I don't know if I believe this, or the story. For all I know an enterprising  Belgian is cutting them up with a hack saw and selling them to the tourists.

First I've heard of this one! What about those with German relatives or those who were Jewish? The Polish troops fighting with the allies didn't seem to take this into consideration too much, so why would a US soldier?

The NOK details were invariably of an address in the US anyway, so how would the Germans link just a surname to some people in Poland?

If it really was a serious issue, surely the soldier would simply have been issued with a 1943 patt tag (rather than a 1940 or 1941 one being defaced) by the time US troops faced the Germans (in Europe).

Personally, I'd go for the "enterprising Belgian" scenario rather than it being a historical fact! ;)

Dave.

Dave

Although I go along with the "hacksaw theory" it is just possible that this could have happened.

I have an Italian WW2 tag that says the soldier was born in the United States. Maybe this one said the GI was born/had n.o.k. in Poland? Not the thing to have if surrounded, as at Bastogne. If it was an uncommon name and a small town or village it would have been possible for the Germans to take reprisals. It would have been difficult to replace the tags for a later issue when surrounded....

One of the Anglo-Italians who was a guide/interpreter for an early airborne raid on Italy in WW2 was visited in prison by his aunt. The Fascists actually tracked down an aunt of London born Rifleman Nico Nastri, as they suspected who he was. She had the sense to pretend not to recognise him, and he survived the war. The other Anglo-Italian guide, Fortunato Pichi (sp?) was shot.

Actually a lot of Poles, French and both German refugees and Anglo-Italians used a "nom de Guerre" to protect their family/avoid getting shot if captured. My own relatives did this. Also, the MOD still retain(ed) the personal effects of Poles killed in WW2. Maybe it has changed since the fall of the Warsaw Pact? I have an article about these effects which says that they have never been able to return this stuff to relatives in Poland because, apart from everything else, the deceased Poles were using assumed names.

Dave, next time this Polish-American tag surfaces I will let you have details. Can also send the article on effects if of interest.

Looking at the "surrounded in bastogne or wherever" scenario and the desperation to change the details, yes, I suppose I can go along with it, but (as I'm sure you know), US tags didn't give birth details and only had NOK details for those who were actually in the US. (If , for example, an unmarried soldier's mother lived in the UK, the chances are that his NOK details (on his tag, not necessarily on any paperwork) would have been something like his next-door-neighbor, not a relative.)

Another thing. Is the guy's number consistant with that of a unit that fought in the Ardennes?

Yes, the article on Polish effects is definately of interest. I'd be most grateful if you could send that to me. (You reminded me of the G/father of one of my sister's friends, by the way, with your mention of "nom-de-guerres". Although he didn't change the name as such, he Anglicised it during his time with the free Polish forces. He became "Jedd" (and this is still the official family name to this day) instead of Jedowoski. His reason? - He was slightly illiterate and couldn't write it in English!!!! :D

Dave.

As soon as I come across the article I will scan and send it. I will also send details on the dog tag as soon as I find it. I am curious about it myself now. I have never actually researched it because I have so many identity discs I wont have the time to research them all until I retire.

There is a story about name changes in one of the books about No 10 Commando. It's years since I read it, so I will make up the actual names. The story is that when some Jewish refugees joined the unit they were told to change their name in case of capture. One of the men changed his name from Cohen to Cameron. Then he changed his name from Cameron to Stewart.

This was in case people asked him what his name had been before he changed it to Stewart :D