Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Chemin Des Dames

I thought some of you might like to see and comment on my Grandpa's short WW1 notebook, which I've transcribed and annotated.

He was Thomas Joseph Glynn, 84064, born 1897. His notebook describes how he was conscripted into the Machine Gun Corps and fought in France and Flanders during 1917-18 in the 14th and 25th Divisions. He fought at Arras and Ypres in 1917, and on the Somme, Lys and Aisne in 1918.

The whole thing is just 5000 words long. The entries are very brief and factual and focus on details of location and movement as much as combat. There's nothing new I think from the historian's perspective but nonetheless a very interesting snapshot of the soldier's life.

I've put a copy on a PDF which is available for Forum members at https://view.publitas.com/bd21680a-6764-4e2f-b64f-fc672f87b393/glynn-mgc-notebook-draft - does anyone know if it's possible to post a document like this directly here on the forum? That might be preferable.

Most of you chaps will know a lot more than me about the historical context, which I address in several bits of commentary. But feel free to comment, correct my annotations or suggest additional annotations of your own.

I've put a copyright on the document since it's essentially a family document and I'm not sure how I'll use it in the future. Tom Glynn's service is just one part of my family's Great War experience and I might try to publish it all one day. So if you want to quote from the document please drop me a line.

Thanks to Graham Sackur and several Old Sweats hereabouts who've already helped elucidate my grandfather's WW1 service.  

Cheers

Alastair

Alastair, 

Nicely done, congratulations. Lovely to see.

Andy

PDF's can be attached to posts in the same way as images.  The only minor difference is the Insert into post button sits over on the right hand side of the attachments area.

See this example ...

A.pdf

Mark

Edited by MBrockway

Thanks Andy and Mark. I think I'll leave it where is is for now though as the link works fine and is easy to flick through. 

2 hours ago, stiletto_33853 said:

Alastair, 

Nicely done, congratulations. Lovely to see.

Andy

Superb job - well done!

Alastair,  This is a terrific piece of work indeed, you have done us all a great service by putting this information together and  sharing it.   I was fortunate to have my own grandfather's journal from August 1914 that covers his experience as a German bugler in Infantry Regiment 169 in the war's very first battles.  (Additional research inspired my authoring a history of his regiment (Germany's Iron Regiment of the First World War).  I appreciate the level of effort you put in to tie this personal account  into the greater context of the war.   Its a miracle he survived such experiences.

Also, IR 169 attacked the British, most likely, including your grandfather's unit, in the vicinity of Roucy on in the Third Battle of the Aisne.   Should you be further interested in this action from the German perspective, I wrote a article about this action in the most recent edition of 'Stand To!', and additional information, and an online map, can be found in www.ironregiment169.com.

Thanks again for your contribution.

John Rieth

Hi John  and Squirrel

Very pleased you found the document interesting, thanks for your words!

John, The Iron Regiment looks like an absolutely terrific book. I'll certainly look up your piece in Stand To! The most recent edition can see online is the open access January 2017 edition. Is it in a more recent one?

PS Graham Sacker - I typo'd your name above with a rogue letter u, apologies. Duh...

Thanks for the note.  My piece appeared in the March 2018 edition, which is a special on the German 1918 Spring Offensives.

• 3 weeks later...

Alastair, many thanks for sharing an amazing story and resource.

I found your post whilst looking for more info on my Great Uncle William. He's buried in Cabaret-Rouge next to a 2nd Lt PW Moss, which made me wonder if he's the same 2nd Lt Moss mentioned on page 88 of your PDF.

Your post spurred me to sign up here, and I posted in Soldiers looking for more info on William. Mark1959 has kindly supplied much more detail than I thought possible - including more details about 2nd Lt Moss.

Thanks again for posting,

Steve

Edited by Webb65

Hi Steve

Good to hear from you and I'm glad you liked the piece on my grandpa. Apologies for the delayed response - buried in work!

I will try to find out about the Moss mystery. After the Third Battle of the Aisne finished in early June 1918, what was left of the 25th Division in France,  including the 25th Machine Gun Battalion, was broken up and assigned to other divisions. The 25th was then reconstituted in England. So Lt Moss could have been moved from the 25th to the 59th Division. If this Lt Moss in your story served in both these divisions then it's probably the same man. What a shame to survive the Aisne battle only to be killed before the war's end.

Anyway I'll follow it up.

All the best and good luck with your own researches on your great uncle.

Alastair

Hi Alastair,

Lt Moss' CWGC records are here: https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/583470/moss,-percy-william/

The interesting thing is that in the original burial at Blaireville, and the original exhumation and transfer to Cabaret-Rouge, he's recorded as 2nd Lt. W.R. Ross.

By the time the main burial record/book of remembrance for Cabaret-Rouge is produced, he's recorded as P.W. Ross - maybe more info came to light post war whilst they were closing the outlying smaller cemeteries and concentrating them at Cabaret-Rouge?

From Mark1959, I have the following info:

The 25th, Moss's Battn, is mentioned as being relieved on the night of 23/24th.

The War Diary of the 25th Battn show Moss was killed on the morning of 23/8/18.

I hope that helps,

Steve

Hi Steve

Thanks for this. The thing I don't understand, however, is how the CWGC lists Moss as being in the 59th, not the 25th Battalion. 

I would also really like to see Moss's personal records which I believe are at Kew and not yet available online. 

All the best from a finally-warm Canada

Alastair