Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

George Richard Lucas & Relieve Kut-e’-Amara

familyhistoryman

I am trying to establish the evets that resluted in George Richard Lucas 6th East Lancashire Regiment No 20014 being awarded the DCM.

The London Gazette Nov 14,1916: "Distinguished Conduct Medal  20014 Pte G R Lucas, E Lanc R  For conspicuous gallantry in action, He rescued the wounded from the enemy under very heavy fire, displaying great gallantry and coolness throughout.

When his death was reported in in 1920 the report mentioned: 
"... at the age of 17 he joined the East Lancashire Regiment in September 1914. He served with the 4th Division in the second battle of Ypres in 1915 and was invalided home suffering from shell shock. At the landing of Sulva Bay, he served with the East Lancashires, and went through the evacuation. He also fought against the Turks in their endeavour to capture the Suez Canal, and served with the 13th Division in Mesopotamia in their effort to relieve Kut-e’-Amara and gained the DCM, on the retreat, being invalided to St Thomas’s Hospital, India, suffering from injuries."

Regards, Tony

Tony

the 6th East Lancs joined the  Tigris Corps in March 1916 and participated in the last attempts to relieve the beleaguered garrison at Kut el Amara. The relief failed and Kut surrendered to the Turks end of April 1916.

GR Lucas is shown in the Daily Casualty Lists for 23rd and 26th June 1916 as wounded. Although listed twice I suggest he was only wounded once. The Cas Lists from Mespot were slower getting reported so he was probably wounded latter part of April ie as part of Relief attempt or it could be for May 1916?

The War Diary for 6th East Lancs is here on National Archives and can be downloaded for GBP 3.50.   Good value . May or may not give you useful detail. But it should enable his wounding and medal action to be determined more precisely.

5ac229dcd7d5c_KutRelief6EastLancsWDref.JPG.17a89ee6b9236592a87a7608dae206fc.JPG

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

The BWM,VM Roll usefully gives his service dates in the different Theatres.

5ac22b4b19faa_KutReliefLucasGRoll.JPG.7960e930783c679edf7010d4b7418061.JPG

The last dates 9/1/16 is evacuation to Port Said.: From there they were sent on to Mesopotamia in Feb 1916, ... (War diary will give all this)

Picked this off another thread on this Forum. Haven't checked it.

The 6th Battalion, East Lancashire Regiment took part in the Attack on the Dujaila Redoubt on the 7th-9th March,(edited, I don't believe that is correct) the Battles of the Hanna and Fallahiyeh on the 5th-8th April and the Battles of Bait Aisa and Sannaiyat on the 17th-22nd April.

Edited by charlie962

Charlie962

Once again many thanks for your help

Tony

Charlie962

I have just come acroos the following newspaper report of Lucus' DCM which, according to the report, was awarded for action on April 7, 1916. In light of this I will obtain the war diaries and will let you know the detail. However, as I am preparing to visit Germany it may be a week or two before I can get the information to you

Tony

The Darwen News, January, Saturday 6, 1917

Another Darwen DCM

Awarded for Service in Mesopotamia

In a list of honours recently published in the "London Gazette" appears the name of Private G R Lucas, as a winner of the DCM in Mesopotamian operation in April 7th, 1916.

He enlisted in the East Lancashires at the outbreak of war. His home is at Joseph Street West, and before enlisting he was connected with the Church Lads Brigade of Holy Trinity Church.

Edited by familyhistoryman
correction to date of newspaper

Charlie962

I should have checked the printed history of the ELR as it mention the action Lucas was involoved in taking place on 9th April, 1916 and not the 7th as reported in the newspaper

Tony

11 minutes ago, familyhistoryman said:

taking place on 9th April,

That would make more sense. I believe the main actions were on 5th April (Hanna) and 9th April (Falahiyeh);

I think on 5th April the 6th E Lancs lost some 30 killed and 150+ wounded. I don't know for the 9th April.

Of course recovery of wounded would continue after the battle but not neccesarily under a flag of truce.

Charlie