Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

One for dolphin

bkristof

Is this a real WW1 like fire extinguisher???

or is it a "fake" one?

post-25-1104945859.jpg

Bkristof

Sorry, I can't help you with this. Fire extinguishers are outside my limited areas of knowledge.

I hope someone else can assist.

Regards

Gareth

Hi Gareth,

too bad...

i was told these were hanging inside WW1 planes.

Bkristof.

When i had just joined the Royal Air Force in 1984 and was in training at R.A.F Catterick in North Yorkshire we had an old fire vehicle of WW2 vintage and that had two fire extinguishers carried as part of the vehicle equipment and they looked very like the one in the photograph.

They were made from brass and carried a chemical called carbon tetra chloride as the extinguishing agent,very nasty stuff when involved in a fire as it became toxic.

Not an answer to your original question but they were in use in the R.A.F in WW2.

Scott.

So not of airplanes.

I was already wondering if there was room enough in a plane for that.

Hi Kristof

I don't think they had self pressurised extinguishers then. The type I would expect to see would be of the all brass "Pyrene" pattern with the Tee handle at the top, which you pump by hand.

Most of the WW2 versions were filled with CTC, but it was also pinched as a method of getting grease off the uniform.

Just a thought, if you were going to fight a fire with either type of extingisher by squirting it into the engine, wouldn't the wash off the propeller blow it all back in your face!

There was a similer type of pattern the use of which became banned about ten years ago and thousands of ex military extingishers were disposed of. ...... the other Gareth

good point Gareth.

i found it suspecious... :angry:

Bkristof & T8HANTS.

Having had a closer look at the photograph it could be a B.C.F extinguisher that was activated by holding it pointing the nozzle to the ground and striking a hard surface.The extinguisher held 3Lbs --- 1.4KG of extinguishing agent and would have been used for small internal fires and not for large engine fires as they only lasted for 3-4 seconds and would have been completely useless.

The M.O.D has not used this extinguishing agent for some time now as the active agent in B.C.F [brome chloro difluromethane] was damaging the ozone layer and this was in contravention of the Montreal Protocall.

Hope this helps.

Scott.

Bkristof & T8HANTS.

Having had a closer look at the photograph it could be a B.C.F extinguisher that was activated by holding it pointing the nozzle to the ground and striking a hard surface.The extinguisher held 3Lbs --- 1.4KG of extinguishing agent and would have been used for small internal fires and not for large engine fires as they only lasted for 3-4 seconds and would have been completely useless.

The M.O.D has not used this extinguishing agent for some time now as the active agent in B.C.F [brome chloro difluromethane] was damaging the ozone layer and this was in contravention of the Montreal Protocall.

Hope this helps.

Scott.

So?????

not +WW1?

Kristoff

Is there a small dimple in the bottom of the cylinder(not the tap end)? This was how you checked if the thing was still up to pressure, if it pushed in the exstinguisher was a dud.

The colour reminds me of some WW2 or 1950's aircraft parts, That nasty thin handle just dosn't look right for WW1.

My vote is if it ain't dated, don't buy at WW1 prices. By the way if its got BCF in it I think it has to be disposed of properly Gareth

P.S. Did you want that info Val has found