Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Presentation Pocket Watches

emo924

I have developed a keen interest in pocket watches presented to serving and ex-soldiers in connection with their war service.

Most appear to have been given to men who won various gallantry awards.

However I have recently acquired an example presented to a man (I believe Grenadier Guards) by the people of Farnworth near Bolton.

Googling the subject produced a further 4 identical watches.

These appear to have been presented simply as a commemoration of a man's war service rather than for any specific act(s)

It appears to me it must have been a fairly costly enterprise as even in as relatively small town like Farnworth, probably hundred's of

men served. Did the town present a pocket watch to every surviving veteran?

If anyone has any information both on the Farnworth examples and such 'general' presentation watches in particular I would be very grateful to hear.

Whilst my main interest is in collecting medals to men who served, I find the idea of adding such things as watches (which I like anyway) which a man

may well have used daily or possibly only on special occasions, fascinating.

Any help much appreciated.

No idea about watches but I have seen vesta cases  that had been presented to men who returned from the war and presented by the residents of the village the men came from.

No idea how widespread this was.

Hi - Thanks for your reply.

I now have 8 similar pocket watches, all but one presented to men who won either the DCM or MM.

The one I mention above is the only one to a man who was not decorated.

I find them - together with vestas, cigarette cases etc - given to soldiers very interesting indeed.

Regards

Chris

Interesting to say the least- I have one vesta case presented to the individual by the residents of his village. Research, with some impressive help from GWF members, gave me his sad story. Wounded 9th April 1917, discharged and died at home of TB in 1919. Buried in his local village churchyard.

That's a sad story indeed - to have 'escaped' death from the rigours of warfare only to die at home of illness.

Interesting doesn't really cover it does it?

Medals presented by the country are one thing but these personal items presented by villages, towns and employers etc are a different matter altogether.

Chris

These personal items are a fascinating area of research and collecting. Some of the stories are moving and sad indeed.

Edited by squirrel

At a reception in October 1919, 38 servicemen were presented with an inscribed gold watch by the citizens of Mathoura, a remote town north of the Murray River in New South Wales.  Ten commemorative shields were presented to the families of soldiers who did not return. Our grandfather's watch is still in the family and still works.  One other is known to be in Echuca.

A correspondent for the Deniliquin newspaper recorded the event:

Each soldier was greeted with enthusiasm as he received the memento.
Mr E. Frost [my grandfather] responded on behalf of the boys. He referred to the honour conferred upon the
returned soldiers by the residents. He said it was not only the men who fought on the other
side that helped to win the war, but those who had sent comforts and cheery letters to
them while they were away also deserved a great deal of credit. Only for those letters and
comforts which cheered them the boys up in the dark hours and which came as a ray of
sunshine, the soldiers might not have been able to carry on as well as they did.

5abcba1b537bf_ESFPocketWatchMathoura1919.jpg.1afd4f7f2430b83152a36dd9b15d4815.jpg

On 28/03/2018 at 11:16, emo924 said:

Hi - Thanks for your reply.

I now have 8 similar pocket watches, all but one presented to men who won either the DCM or MM.

The one I mention above is the only one to a man who was not decorated.

I find them - together with vestas, cigarette cases etc - given to soldiers very interesting indeed.

Regards

Chris

Chris

If your 9 watches are all from Farnworth then by my reckoning you have 75 to go. The Farnworth Weekly Journal 08/08/1919 reported that 84 soldiers and sailors who had gained distinctions were each presented with a gold watch and a framed illuminated address. All the men were from Farnworth and are named under the respective award. I can help with two of them:

242879 Pte Robert Brabin, 4/5 Loyal North Lancs. Awarded MM for action on 26/10/1917 (170 Infantry Brigade - Poelkapelle - 2nd Battle of P).

242864 L/Cpl Albert Coward, 4/5 Loyal North Lancs. Awarded MM for action on 26/10/1917

Both men have service records, the record for Albert Coward has a newspaper cutting (FWJ 19/07/1918) explaining his actions.

I attach the report but it may be better if I e mail it to you, please pm me with your e mail address.

The FWJ is held on microfiche at Bolton Central Library History Centre - I can not recall seeing any such presentations in the Bolton papers.

Brian

fwj08081919-1.jpg

fwj08081919-2.jpg

Edited by brianmorris547
typo

Brian / WhiteStarLine

Many thanks indeed for your contributions - especially Brian (be in touch by PM)

It is a fascinating subject all of it's own.

I'll post some pictures (If I can manage it) of one or two of the ones I have when I get a little more time.

Thanks again

Chris

• 5 years later...

A nice example of a gold pocket watch presented to a DCM recipient from Wolverhampton, for sale online: image.jpeg.5598a7fbbc51613cb613fb7e7f34ba28.jpeg

DCM Nott.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson

Another example of a silver watch to a DCM winner: The watch was presented to 86462 Second Corporal George Smith of the 176th Tunnelling Company, Royal Engineers who received the DCM in WW1 by showing extreme bravery in saving his men following a mine explosion incident (details included on the Royal Engineers WW1 website). George Smith's home address was in Ponders End.image.jpeg.f89303f03b436e259a89dd21502406fc.jpeg

Edited by Ivor Anderson
Additional Info