Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Hon. RGA Hamilton, Master of Belhaven

caulkheader

Morning

Next Saturday [March 31st] is the centenary of the death of Lt/Col the Honourable Ralph Gerard Alexander Hamilton,  aka  The Master of Belhaven.

He is buried [and is the only CWGC burial] in Rouvrel Communal Cemetery just south of Moreuil. We will be paying him a visit on the day as we are in the area, anyone else in the area that day?

T

2651.JPG

9F28AE3D-8710-49D1-845F-04962CF30130.jpeg.a9d4a6527ac4df6d33f569bc5add251c.jpeg

The original edition. A superb account.

Worth a search on this GWForum with the word Belhaven as there are a number of interesting threads related. An exceptional man and an exceptional book on the Artillery.

Charlie

Edit. Interesting to see it says RHA on his gravestone as he was often critical of the RHA standards when he came across them!

Edited by charlie962

Hoping to visit his grave later in the year.. my great great grandfather, Samuel Wood Bath (referred to as 'Bath' in the diary) was the Master of Belhaven's servant until he was sadly fatally wounded by shrapnel in August 1917 as depicted in the book. 

DSCN3041-001.JPG

Update for those who may be interested;

We visited the grave on March 31st, the centenary of his death, to pay our respects.
As we drove into the car park of the communal car park, the only other car there had GB plates, the occupants had arrived about 2 minutes before us, and were the great-great nephew and his 2 sons, the great-great-great nephews of the man himself.

To say they were pleased to see that others had remembered their ancestor would be an understatement!  We had a good talk, a bit of a remember, and left them in private to carry on with their pilgrimage.

T

His diary is one of my favourite books about WW1.  What came through was the respect and care he had for his men.

Mike

• 1 year later...

Just finished reading his diary, in between our various visits here in San Antonio and Houston... great book, fantastic read and a very unfortunate ending. 

I'll forgive him his dislike for Belgians... 

M.

• 3 months later...

I just finished reading this book  following the recommendation of someone on this forum. It was highly  informative and a pleasure to read. I hope to visit his grave next September if Americans are allowed in France then.

• 1 year later...

Visited his grave together with my wife and parents in law for the first time in 2017 and the second time in 2020. I bought an original copy of his diary from 1924. Marvelous report of a horrible time.

Paid the poor man our respect (and had a small drink).

IMG_5421.JPG

• 1 month later...

Nice touch, to bring the book to the grave!! 

M.

• 1 year later...