Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

24th March 1918 Casualties

andrew pugh

I wont be here on the 24th March, I will be in France . So I would like to remember the following casualties Pte Henry John Morrell, Corporal Walter Glew, Sergeant Rendell, Pte William Cunningham of the 24th Battalion Royal Fusiliers (5th Brigade) who were killed on the 24th March 1918.I would also like you to remember Cpl Thomas Houston MM and bar of the 2nd Battalion  H.L.I, (5th Brigade) who was also killed on the 24th March 1918. If it had not been for the bravery of the men like those mentioned above who fought desperately during the German Spring Offensives there would not have been a Last Hundred Days leading up to the end of the war. So God Bless them "ALL" and thank you.

Kind Regards

Andy 

Remembered Always :poppy:

I am travelling to Bancourt Cemetery on 24 th March to visit the grave of my Great Uncle who was kia 23 March 1918 aged 19. Any advice and tips on finding any information would be most welcome.

Thx

1 hour ago, Honeymonster68 said:

I am travelling to Bancourt Cemetery on 24 th March to visit the grave of my Great Uncle who was kia 23 March 1918 aged 19. Any advice and tips on finding any information would be most welcome.

Thx

If you add his details here - folk will willingly offer advice.

Resources such as MIC (Medal Index Card), Medal Rolls, Soldiers effects registers, Possibly War Diaries, can be accessed on sites such as Ancestry or Find my Past.

Assume you will have seen his CWGC entry.

Have a wonderful trip - I visited the grave of my Great Uncle in November, no words to describe the visit.

Barbara

Hi,

6 hours ago, Honeymonster68 said:

Any advice and tips on finding any information would be most welcome.

His CWGC records indicate that he was originally buried at trench map reference 57c.I.19.d.9.2, before being moved to his current resting place. If you put that reference in to this website you can see where that was. There is help on how to read a trench map here. This link should open up on square 57c.I.19, and you can blend the trench map with a view of the modern landscape. It is likely to be much closer to where he originally fell.

His Soldiers Effects record has him as 'on or since'...'death presumed' - so there is an element of doubt introduced in to the absolute certainty of when he died.  The Red Cross have a PoW enquiry card - see here

Douglas has some service papers - FMP here. They should also be available on Ancestry.

The war diary for the 9th Bn Welsh Regiment is here. For greater context it might also be worth looking at the Brigade HQ and Division HQ diaries.

Regards

Chris