Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The French Cross of War

John Shaw

because they didn't knew when the war would end. ;)

14/15 are given in 1915

14/16 in 1916

14/17 in 1917

14/18 in 1918 and after the war...

I was told they exist but i never saw one, the 1914 dated war cross...

The croix de guerre or war cross was given for acts of bravery in the face of the enemy specifically mentioned in despatches.

Some say there are a few examples given in 1914 but most sources say the croix was only instituted in april 1915. As i never saw a 1914 one, I believe the 1915 version.

It was given to soldiers, sailors and airmen of all ranks, and of any Allied army, various types of Croix de Guerre were available: bronze (awarded by the army), silver (awarded by a division), silver-gilt (awarded by a corps), silver star (awarded by a division) and bronze star (awarded by a regiment or brigade).

For subsequent acts of bravery, the recipient was awarded a palm leaf for Army citations, a gold star for Corps citations, a silver star for Division citations or a bronze star for Brigade and Regimental citations.

A lot of allies recieved it too, Brits, Americans, Belgians, Italian, Russians, Australians, Canadian,...

Some famous people:

Willy Coppens, Belgian ace

René Fonck, French ace

Georges Guynemer, French ace

Eddy Rickenbakker, USA

James Mc cudden, Brit ace

Raymond collishaw, Canadian ace

Keith Rodney Park, NZ ace

i hope this helped

And just to complete the set, there are also the ones dated "1939", "1939-40" (the "Vichy" issued one with a green and black ribbon) and "1939-45".

Not forgetting the undated ones such as the one issued for overseas operations, (inscribed "Theatres d'Operations Exterieurs" )issued from the 1920's (but could be backdated for actions in,for example, Gallipoli) and still issued today, an undated Free French (FFI) Croix de guerre and ,the rarest of the lot, the Vichy issued one to the volunteers in Russia 1941-44.

Dave.

The year "1914: is consistently found. The other date bears the year in which it was struck and/or awarded. It was instituted on 8 April, 1915.

DrB

;)

Guest shenkursk

Hey Chip:

Those are the ones that always bring the most $$. Always looking for them hidden in the display cases of (Nazi) dealers who don't know the difference. When you find one for $15 from one of those guys, it feels like a 'special' kind of victory!

I hope the ice storm did not slow you down too much!

Jeff