Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Makers marks on cap badges

DrB

Here is a good one:

I have several badges, as doubtless others have, with the makers marks of "Firmin" and "Tiptaft and Sons, Birmingham" on the sliders.

Is there any way to establish inclusive dates (From and to) on these critters?

If you are hesitaint about responding on the forum due to restrikers and forgers reading this info, you can email me or send me a pm.

Thanks in advance,

DrB

;)

Hi Doc,

According to the book 'Discovering British Military badges & Buttons'- R.J. Wilkinson-Latham (Shire Publications 3rd Edition) 2002. Firmin Established 1673 (I kid you not!) still going and incorporating other well known makersd J.R Gaunt and Smith & Wright. The places of manufacture are a bit vague but correct me if I'm wrong various locations in London until 1994 and then New Town Row Birmingham since.

He mentions plenty of other manufacturers but not Tiptaft. I don't personally have any badges made by them but would like to see some if possible.

Keith

DrB

Tiptaft was a maker during WWi as they made badges for the C.E.F. I have a number of 25th Battalion badges and collars made by them. None of the Badges in my collection were made with a slider and the makers mark is impressed directly onto the back of the badge.

Regards

N.S.Regt

Well, my question is now even muddier. (more muddy?) Anyway, I don't possess a digital camera yet, and cannot furnish pictures.

However....I have a rising sun badge from "down there" which is a cross between copper and brass..almost the appearence of gilding metal.

Maker name, on slider is "J.W. TIPTAFT & SON, LTD" (all caps) and just below it, in smaller letters (Caps again) is "BIRMINGHAM"

I believe this piece to be genuine, but.....

DrB

:(

DrB,

Hi Sorry for the delay,the legend "J.W.Tiptaft & Son, Ltd;Birmingham" was used apparently from the late 19th Century,they made badges for the Canadian Forces in the Boer War Period with that "Backstamp",so presumably would have made Badges for the Australian & possibly,NZ Forces also{Both still in their relative infancy in the 1890s}I imagine Tiptaft to be relatively "Small Player" Manufacturer as one doesn't see that many of their Badges.

With regard to "Firmin" the Legend "Firmin & Sons Ltd" was used from around 1880s onward, to Present;prior to that they were variously Philip & Samuel Firmin{1841};Firmin & King{1839};Robert Firmin{1826};Firmin & Sons{1824};Firmin & Langdale{1815}Philip Firmin{1812};Firmin & Westall{1797}:

On the Gaunt Them:~e

Jennens & Co;Ltd[1912~24] Then Became part of "Gaunt & Son" ,Birmingham & London & We all know what happens from then! {Jennens & Co used the POW Feathers & Legend backstamp on their Buttons & Badges from Around 1860}

I hope this helps~ I would suggest your Aussie Sunburst is a Pre 1914 Period Piece,or @ least Early WW1,as most WW1 Badges were made in Australia in Melbourne I believe.

firmin & Sons, 153 Strand, 1783-1796. British button and/or badge maker.

firmin & sons 153 Strand and White Horse yard, 1839. British button and/or badge maker.

firmin & sons 153 Strand and White Horse yard, 1822-1828. British button and/or badge maker.

firmin & Westall. 1797-1811. British button and/or badge maker.

firmin & Langdale, 153 Strand and 10 Claire Court, 1815-1821. British button and/or badge maker.

firmin & Sons 153 Strand and Conduit St. 1856-1860. British button and/or badge maker.

firmin & Sons 153-154 Strand and 13 Conduit St. 1861-1863

firmin & Sons 153-155 Strand and 13 Conduit St. 1864-1879. British button and/or badge maker.

firmin & Sons Ltd. 153-155 Strand and 47 Warwick st. 1890-1894. British button and/or badge maker.

firmin & Sons Ltd. 108-109 St Martins Lane and 47 Warwick St. 1895-1904. British button and/or badge maker.

firmin & Sons Ltd, 108-109 St Martins Lane and 6 warwick St. 1905-1915. British button and/or badge maker.

firmin & Sons. 8 Cork St. 1916-1968. British button and/or badge maker.

A very heartfelt "thanks" to 7t2ndswinger, N.S.Regt., HarryBettsMCDCM and museumtom for your replies. This goes a very long way in clearing up several mysteries that repose in my most gazed upon boxes!

DrB

:)

• 13 years later...

Last week when looking for items to represent the C.E.F. at  our local WW1 exhibition I came across these badges from the 90th Winnipeg Rifles.

The larger one (7cm x 4.1 cm) is marked on the reverse, STERLING SILVER TIPTAFT B'HAM. It also has a "3" by the devil's right foot.

The smaller one is marked R & J Inglis.

Any information regarding the age of the badges, or the significance of the "3", would be greatly appreciated.

90th Winnipeg Rifles.jpg