Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

scantily clad chorus girls in camp entertainments

Moonraker

I've been browsing through Farewell to the Horses by Robert Elverston, (History Press 2014), the memoirs of Cadel Cyril Hoyte, a member of "the Machine Gun Corps of the Warwickshire Yeomanry". When at "Tidworth training camp" in late 1915, he went to the theatre (presumably the Garrison Theatre), where he enjoyed a variety of turns followed by "a sort of revue composed chiefly of gaudily but scantily clad chorus girls". Which surprised me.

I've come across various descriptions of entertainments at Wiltshire army camps during the war, and these gave me the impression that they consisted mainly of a few local genteel people singing and playing music, soldiers' own efforts, melodramas performed by a small cast of touring players (with a virtuous maiden, sometimes played by a more matronly actress, being rescued  by her wholesome young beau in the nick of time from the evil attentions of a "Sir Jasper" type). As the war progressed, touring theatrical and concert troupes were formed, such as by Lena Ashwell (who's mentioned in several GWF threads), offering generally wholesome amusement.

I had imagined that being "scantily clad" a century ago might mean showing a bit of leg, perhaps covered in tights. This was confirmed by  Googling for images of "chorus girls 1910", with the exceptions of the  Folies Bergeres in Paris and the Ziegfeld Follies in the States, though I did come across this c1910 photo of

the Leslie girls

Has anyone else come across accounts of "chorus girls" dancing at British camps during the war?

Moonraker

Edited by Moonraker

I came in for the scantily clad chorus girls. I stayed for the intellectual discourse.

Can you be any more specific on the date? We may be able to work it out.

45 minutes ago, IPT said:

I came in for the scantily clad chorus girls. I stayed for the intellectual discourse.

Can you be any more specific on the date? We may be able to work it out.

2987 Pte Cady Cyril HOYTE joined the Warwickshire Yeomanry  in June 1915, he was posted to Tidworth Training Camp where he enjoyed the delights of the camp theatre on two consecutive nights 10th & 11th November 1915 according to page 13 of 'Farewell to the Horses.' In March 1918 the Warwickshire Yeomanry received news  in Palestine that the Regiment had been selected by the War Office for dismounted service as Machine Gunners in France – the news being received with mixed feelings.  Two months of intensive training were to elapse before the Regiment embarked for France. Its at this juncture that 2987 is renumbered 164684 serving in  "B" Battalion M.G.C. but later in August 1918 it became  the 100th. (Warwick and South Notts Yeo) Battalion M.G.C.  The diary is well worth reading.

Edited by Philip Wilson

3 hours ago, Philip Wilson said:

2987 Pte Cady Cyril HOYTE joined the Warwickshire Yeomanry  in June 1915, he was posted to Tidworth Training Camp where he enjoyed the delights of the camp theatre on two consecutive nights 10th & 11th November 1915 according to page 13 of 'Farewell to the Horses.' In March 1918 the Warwickshire Yeomanry received news  in Palestine that the Regiment had been selected by the War Office for dismounted service as Machine Gunners in France – the news being received with mixed feelings.  Two months of intensive training were to elapse before the Regiment embarked for France. Its at this juncture that 2987 is renumbered 164684 serving in  "B" Battalion M.G.C. but later in August 1918 it became  the 100th. (Warwick and South Notts Yeo) Battalion M.G.C.  The diary is well worth reading.

I have the history of the South Notts Hussars, which is also interesting reading.

(I only came by for the sports news, of course).

Does the Forum have a top shelf? Maybe a Mod could drag himself (or herself) away from pushing old ladies down escalators for a moment and put this post up there...?

Bernard