Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unknow grenades? bombs?

bkristof

The left one is a French ball grenade, used with the wrist knot.

The 2 next to it look the same, but are smaller and are casted iron with a hole in it.

Are it grenades? yes? what types? witch country?

Can it be cannonballs?

post-23-1104868908.jpg

another picture;

post-23-1104868954.jpg

Hi BK,

The two look very similar to early British Bombs before the introduction of the more familar Mills and others. I am no expert in this but have seen this type illustrated in post war books of daring do.

Roop

they do, but they are smaller. It is the Nr 15 you are refering to i think.

Hmmmm a strange one. The leftmost is as you say a 1914 model ball grenade, the size was still the same as the original model 1847; 3.2 inch diameter.

No.15's had a 3" diameter and the shape/opening does not look right.

Scanning Delhomme I cannot see a matching (cast iron) grenade from any of the main combatants and it seems most like a variant of the French ball. There were other similar and scarcer French variants but most were very similar in size wheras the rightmost in your picture is significantly smaller.

it is not in Delhomme, i used that source too. :(

Hi Kristof

I think they are "Spherical Shell" from the cannon era. these were fused with a tapered wooden fuse that could be adjusted for time of flight (can't remember how) A "Modern" WW! grenade should have a screw thread to take the fuse arangement. Try American CivIl War artillery site for further ino'.....Gareth

But they were found here in the salient !!!

French? They used some old fashioned guns.

I can't remember whos biography it was, but after the war he went back to his old haunts in the salient. Spotting a butt of a rifle sticking out of an old trench he pulled it out and found it was a Brown Bess musket. You have been fought over before WW1 I believe. Gareth

Hi again BK,

I seem to recall Croonaert mentioning finding a bayonet or sword in the Salient which predated WW1. Perhaps, depending upon location these have similar provenance. I think Croonaert mentioned Polygon Wood area but dont't quote me!!

Roop

You have been fought over before WW1 I believe. Gareth

IIRC, I remember reading somewhere that Belgium has the dubious honour of hosting more wars than any other European country in modern times?

A "Modern" WW! grenade should have a screw thread to take the fuse arangement

True for most Great War grenades but the French did use some 1847 pattern ball grenades with 1882 pattern wooden plug fuses during the early years of the war. There were also numerous artisans grenades of basic manufacture in use.

I think we are stuck with a big mystery. :rolleyes:

I seem to recall Croonaert mentioning finding a bayonet or sword in the Salient which predated WW1. Perhaps, depending upon location these have similar provenance. I think Croonaert mentioned Polygon Wood area but dont't quote me!!

Hi Roop.

It was a French Chassepot bayonet from the era of the Franco-German War. I found it near Boezinge, but I know that some French troops were (re)issued with these in 1914.

Dave.

(PS, Kristof. Where exactly were they found? This might give a clue if it is in (or up to a few hundred yards outside) the area of fighting from 1713, 1744 or 1792-94) If WW1 dated, is there a possibility that they could be Turkish "bring backs"?