Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Aerial Trench photos

Patrick Mooney

I have a large collection of Trench photos taken from 1915-18 of various spots around the Western Front. Some named towns I have located and found them to be still quite similar to the wartime photos.

However, is there a reference that is available that lists various trench systems and locations, as many of these photos are named Trench Systems, such as Marburg Trench, Boyau de Halle, (near Vaux), Tranchee de Liebach, Boyau de Pola...

Also, what was the differentiation between a "Tranchee" and a "Boyau"???

Patrick

I recall reading somewhere that a 'Boyau' was a French dug communication trench. They started a great distance away from the front and out of sight from enemy observation usually with a sentry box at the entrance. I believe they were deeper and wider than British communication trenches so greater numbers of men could travel along them.

By Vaux - do you mean Vaux at Verdun or Vaux sur Somme?

Terry is correct in his description of a French Boyau; front line trenches were normally named 'Tranchee de...' on French maps.

Paul,

I really DON"T know which Vaux it is, as this is one of my major problems. I have attached the photo down below, and it is dated 1.11.16 I am more confident that it is Verdun than the some for a few reasons, though I cannot be sure.

I have another photo shot obliquely that shows the Boyau De Halle, along with the neiboring Tranchees that are Id'ed as well. On that photo, there are several areas that are marked by arrows and other markings.

The area is heavily shelled and the white dots are shell craters filled with water.

Patrick

post-4-1053925708.jpg

Boyaux de Halle was approx 500m due north of Vaux devt. Damloup (the Verdun Vaux!). It ran west to east from the area approx north of Etang de Vaux to half way across the village.

Dave.

Here's part of a trench map showing this particular trench (317 (Ft. de Vaux) 22nd Oct.1916)

post-4-1053928558.jpg

...and here's another (317 bis, Bezonvaux) ,this time dated 11th Dec.1916 (when Boy.de Halle was actually the German front line trench (my colouring)).

post-4-1053930044.jpg

Dave,

Outstanding - thanks VERY much. As I said in my note to Paul, I suspected that it was at Verdun, but had no proof to back it up. In fact, the other photo of this same trench system shows the additional trenches that are listed on your map running north and south from the Boyau de Halle.

Thanks again for your confirmation.

Patrick