Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Perth Academy - Flowers of the Forest Project

DoubleD

Dear Forum Pals,

I just wanted to put up a post so that I can offer my thanks to everyone who has helped with our project.

The attached images are of a memorial book which has just been printed and bound. There are three copies: a working copy for the young people involved with the project; a copy for the school archive; and a copy for me!

I am also very pleased to report that the contents of the book have just been linked to the school website. If you click on the clock tower icon entitled Perth Academy War Memorial, which is on the home page of the Perth Academy website, it will direct you to the contents of the book. Although there is no introduction at the moment, the young people themselves will be adding something in their own words very soon.

I tried very hard as I went along, to record the names of individuals and organisations who had helped in any way. If you read the acknowledgments page you will see the Great War Forum, the Long, Long Trail, and many, many Forum Pals. I do hope that I haven’t missed anyone!

I was a complete novice four years ago, and all I wanted to do was to help the young people to add some meaning to their services, by trying to find out about the people they were commemorating. I couldn’t have done any of it without the help of so many people, including many of you who will be reading this post. Despite every effort being made to verify the information I have collected, I am sure that there will still be errors and omissions. But…the real aim of the project was to give a glimpse of the person behind each of the names, and to try and make a connection with their families. I think we have achieved that, and I hope that we have produced a fitting tribute to the 168 former pupils and staff who are described on our memorial as “the citizens of Perth Academy who gave up their precious lives in battle”. 

Of course the project itself continues. Our first remembrance service took place at the school on 11th March 2015, and the last one will take place on 25th March 2019. If you are interested you can see photographs of some of the ceremonies on Twitter: @pamemorial.

Once again, with thanks,

Dave Dykes

image1.JPG

Picture1.jpg

Impressive: you should think about publishing for a wider audience.

Link to website HERE

Many thanks for your kind words Steven.

I have been in discussion with a lady in Perth who has some experience in getting projects like this published.

I will let you know how it goes.

Cheers,

Dave