Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private Herbert Everett 49631 R.F 585083 Labour Corps

wendyhawk

I have 2 medals and a silver war badge belonging to Private Herbert Everett 49631 Royal Fusiliers, second reg.number 585083 Labour Corps ECLC. He was discharged in 1918 aged 28 awarded the Silver War Badge so that makes his birth about 1890, but he is quite elusive.

Help would be appreciated understanding the information on the envelope the medals were sent in. The medals are in good condition, the victory medal is stunning. I have the original envelope with it addressed to Mr Herbert Everett,  89 Norwich Street Cambridge. But I would like to know what is the relevance of the label which reads:-R Nottingham 56 No. F3016 and I note his medal document has Nottingham Labour Corps Records stamped on it. I was hoping that this would be an indication he was from that area.

Was he a Nottingham lad or did he come from the Cambrideshire area? Would appreciate enlightenment. Thank you.

33.jpg

30850_A000516-00750.jpg

The label R Nottingham 56 No. F3016 has no significance; this is just the registered envelope reference number (the equivalent of today's tracking number).

The Cambridge Electoral Roll for 1922 lists at 89, Norwich St., Cambridge (the same address as on the registered package) Herbert Everett and Ada M. Everett. Also listed at this address is a William Cox who is related to Ada M. Everett (formerly Cox).

Herbert S. J. J. Everett married Ada M. Cox in the Cambridge Registration District in 1920 quarter 2

Herbert S. J. J. Everett was, in full, Herbert Stanley Joseph James Everett.

1939 Register - 31 Warren Road, Cambridge

Herbert S. J. J. Everett, born 23 October 1890, married, museum assistant

Ada M. Everett, born 18 August 1885, married, unpaid domestic duties

Ada M. Everett died in 1966 in the Cambridge Registration District, and Herbert S. J. J. Everett remarried in 1967 to Bessie R. Melton.

Herbert Stanley Joseph James Everett born 23 October 1890 died on 18 February 1978 (address 33, Crossways Gardens, Trumpington, Cambridge).

Herbert Stanley J. J. Everett was born in 1890 quarter 4 in the Kingston-upon-Thames, Surrey Registration District.

In the 1911 Census he was at 52, Devonshire Road, Cambridge - he was described as Herbert S. J. J. Everett, son, 24, single, assurance agent, born Teddington. He was the son of Joseph Everett, a Baptist Minister, and Emily Everett.  

Thank you Bigjohn and Harry for your quick replies. I had seen Herbert SJJ in some of the other records, but because his medal records just stated plain Herbert, I had discounted HerbertSJJ. Now it's all starting to make sense. Once again many thanks for your communications.