Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HAWTHORNE CRATER CLEARANCE BEGINS

DAVE PLATT

1 hour ago, stu said:

Can anyone please help me.

I shall be on the Somme on Saturday, I hope to be able to visit the crater, has the clearance now finished and is the crater accessible ?

Many thanks

Stuart 

Stuart.

I wouldn't like to say that the clearance has finished but it is certainly accessible - it looked clear when we went past last Tuesday.  Park at the bottom of the Sunken Lane near the memorial to the A&S Highlanders, cross the road and up the steps.  Here is a photo, similar to GD's (post #40), taken on 1 July 2018.

Reg

DSC_0298.JPG

On 05/03/2018 at 14:42, horrocks said:

The Carnoy craters on the front line at Carnoy, and Y-Sap at La Boisselle - a house has been built on the site of the crater.

I'd feel a bit uncomfortable to live in that house.

Edited by Michael Thomson

Wonderful that the site is being made accessible for both feet and eyes.

Extra tourism can help fund preservation, but unfortunately it can also speed up erosion and wear necessitating designated footpaths and viewing platforms. Bit of a double-edged sword, that. 

Thanks for info and photos, everyone. 

/Dan 

I suspect that there was lots of tourism there in the 1920s, 30s and 50s, but it seems to have survived. Even the tree roots have left the shell holes on the German side of the crater in surprisingly good shape.

II took half a dozen friends to and down into Hawthorn some 30 years ago: not very safe, and everyone went silent at the bottom.

No birds sang.

A place of awe and mystery.

It was a relief to scramble back up, and then people began to talk normally.

Totally agree Muerrisch .

I went down at dusk , I am not superstitious in any way, but I could not wait to get out and felt a shiver through my spine..

Hawthorn Crater today, bitterly cold, sign says access to centre prohibited but there is a fenced path down. for the record, some of the new strands of fence wire have come apart at the top, there were quite a few branches down which could have done it.  my only criticism is people will park on the side outside the steps and today it was muddy and will cut up bad , maybe compact some gravel outside or advise parking over at Hamel British.

hawthorn crater.JPG

view from the top over to Hamel British cemetery and Scots memorial

scot mem and hamel brit from hawthorn ridge.JPG

Edited by chaz

It looks so much better than it did a year ago.

I was there on Saturday.

Although I don't think its finished yet, I have to say that I was impressed with the work done so far, and the association should be congratulated for their hard work.

We parked at the Sunken Lane and walked across the road as there were other cars by the steps, I would imagine that during the summer when it gets busier parking could become an issue.