Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RA & Tank Corps Command Depot

Gareth Davies

I have just found some references to the RA & Tank Corps Command Depot which was in Catterick (or more specifically Hipswell).  I had never heard of it until this morning.  A quick search of the forum throughs up only a few mentions but from them I have deduced that it was a depot where soldiers went either after recovering from an injury (on discharge from hospital) or perhaps it was where further recovery was carried out.  Did they keep any records?  If so where can I find them please.

Hello Gareth

The following is a note I made from the Medical Official History, which confirms the role of the Command Depots. I'm afraid that there are no relevant surviving War Diaries - units at home were not required to keep them - and I don't know where you might find records elsewhere. You could try enquiring at the present-day Catterick Garrison, as they might know where any records went.

HANDLING OF CASUALTIES EVACUATED FROM FRANCE TO THE UK

Wounded and sick men were sent from hospitals with the BEF (usually near French ports) to a Port of Disembarkation in the UK. This was usually Dover or Southampton, which each handled about half of the total, but some other ports handled smaller numbers.

At each port there was a Reception and Distribution Centre, which sent the men to Central Hospitals in the UK. These hospitals also made transfers to and from Auxiliary Hospitals and Convalescent Hospitals.

Central Hospitals sent men as follows:

• Men fit for drafts, to Reserve Units and Regimental Depots.
  • Men fit for home service or labour duties, to Command Depots, Home Service Battalions or Labour Companies.
  • Men unfit for further service were discharged to civil life.

Convalescent Hospitals sent men as follows:

• Men fit for home service or labour duties, to Command Depots.

Command Depots sent men as follows:

• Men fit for home service or labour duties, to Home Service Battalions or Labour Companies.

Home Service Battalions or Labour Companies sent men as follows:

• Men fit for labour duties overseas, back to the BEF.

Reserve Units and Regimental Depots sent men as follows:

• Men fit for drafts, back to the BEF.
  • Men fit for home service or labour duties, to Command Depots, Home Service Battalions or Labour Companies.

Ron

Hipswell Camp was designated a Command Depot on January 12, 1918. 4300 places were reserved for Royal Artillery personnel, 1000 for Army Service Corps and 500 for the Tank Corps. Batteries were lettered A to M (with no J Bty). There are inoculation registers for these batteries in MH 106/1856 and MH 106/1857 dated August 30, 1918 to December 6, 1918 from which I have taken images. There are more registers covering Catterick Command Depot from MH 106/1853 right through to MH 106/1886 which may be of interest.

1 hour ago, Ron Clifton said:

Hello Gareth

The following is a note I made from the Medical Official History, which confirms the role of the Command Depots. I'm afraid that there are no relevant surviving War Diaries - units at home were not required to keep them - and I don't know where you might find records elsewhere. You could try enquiring at the present-day Catterick Garrison, as they might know where any records went.

HANDLING OF CASUALTIES EVACUATED FROM FRANCE TO THE UK

Wounded and sick men were sent from hospitals with the BEF (usually near French ports) to a Port of Disembarkation in the UK. This was usually Dover or Southampton, which each handled about half of the total, but some other ports handled smaller numbers.

At each port there was a Reception and Distribution Centre, which sent the men to Central Hospitals in the UK. These hospitals also made transfers to and from Auxiliary Hospitals and Convalescent Hospitals.

Central Hospitals sent men as follows:

Convalescent Hospitals sent men as follows:

• Men fit for home service or labour duties, to Command Depots.

Command Depots sent men as follows:

• Men fit for home service or labour duties, to Home Service Battalions or Labour Companies.

Home Service Battalions or Labour Companies sent men as follows:

Reserve Units and Regimental Depots sent men as follows:

• Men fit for drafts, back to the BEF.

Ron

Ron

That's helpful, thank you.  

23 minutes ago, David Porter said:

Hipswell Camp was designated a Command Depot on January 12, 1918. 4300 places were reserved for Royal Artillery personnel, 1000 for Army Service Corps and 500 for the Tank Corps. Batteries were lettered A to M (with no J Bty). There are inoculation registers for these batteries in MH 106/1856 and MH 106/1857 dated August 30, 1918 to December 6, 1918 from which I have taken images. There are more registers covering Catterick Command Depot from MH 106/1853 right through to MH 106/1886 which may be of interest.

Thank you David.