Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Travelling from Lille to Ypres - best way?

potty5

Dear forum members, I am sure this has been discussed many times, but what is the most convenient way to get to Ypres from Lille railway station please as I am going over on June 8 for a few days to visit the graves of my two great uncles who fell in 1918 and are buried nearby. Around 16 years ago we managed to do it via a bus and train and it only cost us 2 euros, but this proved to be quite stressful so am looking for a far easier way. I take it the train from Lille is the best option but any other suggestions will be gratefully received. Mark Potts.

My preferred method, one I have used a few times, is to hire a car.  There are plenty of car hire companies at Lille station.  

A taxi will do the journey in 45 minutes for 75 Euros, though you need to book in advance. Train is OK, but requires at least one change.

18 or 36 bus from outside Gare Lille Flandres to Comines (France); walk over the border to Comines (Belgium) rail station and catch train to Ypres. Cost 6€. Buses run hourly.

or

train from Gare Lille Flandres to Courtrai and change for Ypres.

or

train from Gare Lille Flandres to Armentieres, bus to le Bizet, change bus for Ypres.