Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

White's Flight

Andrew P

While browsing the AWM bookshop on the net I found a new book called 'White's Flight'. This is about TW White who was a member of the Australian half-flight and was captured in Mesopotamia.

I have White's own book at home called 'Guests of the Unspeakable' which is one of my favourite WW1 books.

Has anyone read 'Whites Flight'? Does it add to 'Guests of the Unspeakable' or is it largely the same?

Regards

Andrew

G'day Andrew,

I will check this out tomorrow when I am at the AWM, it appears to be written by the same couple that wrote "Stokers Submarine".

Take care,

Andrew.

Andrew

I have White's Flight, and I started it today. The writing style is rather simplistic, ie there's an absence of definitive dates, serial numbers, and the other details of that sort that keep us fanatics amused. However, the book appears designed to appeal to people who have only a sketchy knowledge of Great War events. If the book generates interest in the period, then the authors have done a good job.

I'll give you a report when I've finished it.

Regards

Gareth

G'day Andrew,

I bought it mainly to see what the authors did to a friend of the family. White was quite good to my Great Grand Father and Mother after William died in the Tarsus Mountains. He tried to get my father a job at Kraft Cheese during the depression, but he missed out due to being C of E instead of a Catholic. My grand mother never bought their cheese again!!

Back to the topic, it seems to be written in a general style, and heavily relies on Whites diaries. Not a bad read, but I doubt you will learn anything new about his WW1 service.

Andrew

Mate,

I did pick up a good read in Canberra in Sept this year.

Its called "One Airman's War" a book based on the diaries of an aircraftsman Joseph Bull with 1 Sqn AFC.

Its been edited by Mark Lax of the and is full of good info on the war in the desert including all 1 Sqn's aircraft with numbers and details on most members of the Sqn.

Cheers

S.B

G'day Andrew

Firstly I have to agree with Steve, that Marks book, "One Airmans War" is a must have.

I have just finished reading "Whites Flight" and was disappointed. It details his WW1 internment which is basically from "Guests of the Unspeakable", and delves into his political career, but the book is riddled with errors.

The one that sticks out is on page 116;

"By 1918 escape had blossomed into a small industry. Some officers devised a wildly ambitious scheme for an RAAF bomber to land in their camp and airlift them to freedom".

This is not a typo!! There is perhaps two problems with this. Firstly this is the first time I have ever heard of such a plan and I have researched this area extensively for about 8 years, as my uncles were both in the Half Flight, I am willing however to concede the point that the authors might have had access to material I haven't, but as they do not include footnotes I do not know the source of the statement. The other mistake is just a small one, in 1918 the RAAF didn't exist.

It was at this point I nearly threw the book out the window. If you still intend to buy it wait a few months until it starts to show up in the 2nd hand book stores as it is not worth $30.

I recommend buying White's "Guest of the Unspeakable", Bott's "Eastern Nights and Flights", Johnson's & Yearsley's "Four Fifty Miles to Freedom" and Yeates Brown's "Caught by the Turks". These books will certainly cost more than $30, but if you want to know more regarding the plight of allied airmen at the hands of the Turk, they are a must.

Finally as I write this I have just looked at a similar mistake the aurthors made in "Stokers Submarine", in he end notes they relate a story of Tom Piper an Aussie in the RNAS who was also a POW, but according to the authors he didn't serve with the RNAS but the RAAF!!

Rant over,

Andrew

Thanks Andrew. I was going to get it through library loan but I might not bother now.

I might read Guest of the Unspeakable again instead.

Cheers

Andrew