Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Replica weapons.

nikp

Here is a poser for you all. My brother has made a cracking Lewis Gun replica. Mostly wood but with some metal parts. He has enquired with the British Customs and Border Agency about taking it over to France in a couple of weeks time and they say as long as it is declared there is no problem. however they cant vouch for our French counterparts. Has anyone any experience with this. He doesn't want to take it over just for the French customs to " pinch " it.

Any info welcome.

I would warn your brother that the problem will be returning to the UK, last year we spoke to folk who said the French authorities will confiscate anything they do not like even rusty components of firearms found on battlefields! As for grenades, shell fragments carry at your own risk. They did look in our boot although ignoring the luggage so it was obvious they were looking for "souvenirs ". Perhaps the French embassy might be able to advise?

neil

My living history group stopped taking de-acts and replicas over the Channel a couple of years ago.

The situation is now so bizarre, that the only firearm you can travel over fairly hassle free with, is a live firer.

19 hours ago, The Owlman said:

I would warn your brother that the problem will be returning to the UK, last year we spoke to folk who said the French authorities will confiscate anything they do not like even rusty components of firearms found on battlefields! As for grenades, shell fragments carry at your own risk. They did look in our boot although ignoring the luggage so it was obvious they were looking for "souvenirs ". Perhaps the French embassy might be able to advise?

neil

Yet again, it is illegal to take any 'souvenirs' from French battlefields, and you risk a 10,000 euro fine and a six month sentence if you do. A live grenade would certainly come under the heading of a prison sentence.

No intention of fetching any nasties back.Just querying about taking a replica over. 

Your brother should not have a real problem taking the replica over the problem is bringing it back. As T8 says,  he will probably get the replica confiscated on the way back.

Brother here. I have decided that after all the time it has taken to construct I don't want to loose it and also it probably isn't the best idea to walk around with a full size replica of a Lewis gun strung from my shoulder.  Thanks for the feedback on here. Common sense prevails! It will just have to hang up in the conservatory and be a talking point!

Hello folks. Here is the very nearly finished article. I think he has made a great job. Orders taken ?

LEWIS MK1.JPG

On ‎03‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 12:21, GraemeClarke said:

Hi

A photo would be interesting

Graeme

Photos now posted. Cheers.

Indeed, VERY impressive! Must have taken hours!

For those interested, the two internal barrels are steel with a turned alloy inner end, the outer barrel is steel tube with an alloy taper to bring the two different diameters together, the main body, trigger and spring housing are beech, the butt is ash, the magazine is rolled 3mm alloy with a MDF top and side bits sitting on MDF plates and the outer barrel ridges, rear sight and tripod stand are alloy. Fancy doing a Vickers MG next. Just need plans.

Would have been great to take it across the pond and take some photos near iconic remains but decided against that.

"Would have been great to take it across the pond and take some photos near iconic remains but decided against that."

OK, as a favour to you. Bring it over here with you, take all the photographs you want. Then, rather than worry about getting it back to the UK - leave it here and I'll look after it for you. Simples

Best wishes

Looks great by the way!

John

12 hours ago, Frajohn said:

"Would have been great to take it across the pond and take some photos near iconic remains but decided against that."

OK, as a favour to you. Bring it over here with you, take all the photographs you want. Then, rather than worry about getting it back to the UK - leave it here and I'll look after it for you. Simples

Best wishes

Looks great by the way!

John

OOH you devil See you next week.

The 97 was in the plans. Wish I had made it with the smaller one now but that can be a project for later and I will get it looking better than this one.

Nice offer Frajohn, and am tempted but on balance think I will turn it down. :P

Have a look at sections 36 and 37 VCRA which deals with realistic imitations, then check the relevent legislation about importing such into the UK which is what you will be doing if you take it out of the UK and then try to bring it back. This is similar to taking a de-act out of the UK and then bringing it back without the correct import licence

Thanks Dave1418 for that but if you read my posts I have said that I am not taking it across even given Frajohns very tempting !!!!! offer.

Your brother sir is a true craftsman. I'd expect he will get offers to sell it or make another one to sell. Hope he will do a Vickers at some point.

• 3 months later...
On 02/03/2018 at 10:58, healdav said:

Yet again, it is illegal to take any 'souvenirs' from French battlefields, and you risk a 10,000 euro fine and a six month sentence if you do. A live grenade would certainly come under the heading of a prison sentence.

Sorry for the late comment on this thread but following on from healdav's comment above I'm wondering about the bits of shrapnel etc you can buy in the souvenir shops.

If you have them wrapped and a receipt with them are they a problem or are they allowed? Surely they must be ok or the shops wouldn't sell it (or am I being naive there?)

Thanks 

Michael 

Edited by Shiny

9 hours ago, Shiny said:

Sorry for the late comment on this thread but following on from healdav's comment above I'm wondering about the bits of shrapnel etc you can buy in the souvenir shops.

If you have them wrapped and a receipt with them are they a problem or are they allowed? Surely they must be ok or the shops wouldn't sell it (or am I being naive there?)

Thanks 

Michael 

There may be some system of licencing, but I have never heard of it.