Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Weather in Kent area

KIRKY

Travelling down to Fokstone tomorrow afternoon , any updates on roads down that way in particular, M25 , M26 and M20?

Tony

I've just had a look on Waze and it seems to be clear as a bell at the moment. I think the stretch between Maidstone and Ashford was the main problem this morning. It is usually the bit that catches it. SE London / Kent border didn't see a flake until a couple of flurries this afternoon.

Phil

I currently commute a round trip on the M20 each day (groan!) but after checking things this morning I worked from home today!  Coming home last night from the coast I knew there would be problems as the snow was settling and there was very little traffic on the road to clear it - the fast lane was a no-go zone.  This was suprising as there's nearly always a constant flow of lorries to and from the Chunnel and Dover.  Maybe those "inbound" were stuck on the continent and those "outbound" decided to wait a day.  Most of the overhead signs announced "Spreading Salt" but I didn't see any on the motorway from Folkestone to Swanley.

I can't wait for tomorrow morning!

12 minutes ago, imaginatian said:

I currently commute a round trip on the M20 each day (groan!) but after checking things this morning I worked from home today!  Coming home last night from the coast I knew there would be problems as the snow was settling and there was very little traffic on the road to clear it - the fast lane was a no-go zone.  This was suprising as there's nearly always a constant flow of lorries to and from the Chunnel and Dover.  Maybe those "inbound" were stuck on the continent and those "outbound" decided to wait a day.  Most of the overhead signs announced "Spreading Salt" but I didn't see any on the motorway from Folkestone to Swanley.

I can't wait for tomorrow morning!

Thanks can you update me tomorrow morning?

Tony

Tony,

No problems getting to Dover from S.E. London other than getting out of the side streets where I live.  The outside lane of the M20 should be avoided until near Ashford, but from there on there's no problems.

Only advice would be to make sure you have plenty of screen wash, as the spray of the road is full of salt that smears your windscreen.  My car now needs a wash even more than it did before.

Ian

9 minutes ago, imaginatian said:

Tony,

No problems getting to Dover from S.E. London other than getting out of the side streets where I live.  The outside lane of the M20 should be avoided until near Ashford, but from there on there's no problems.

Only advice would be to make sure you have plenty of screen wash, as the spray of the road is full of salt that smears your windscreen.  My car now needs a wash even more than it did before.

Ian

Thanks, we are leaving soon!

Tony

18 minutes ago, imaginatian said:

Tony,

Ian

I once got stuck behind a gritter as I crossed the Ardennes. I had to use a hosepipe and a scrubbing brush to get the salt off the front of the car. It sets like concrete. I wondered why the headlights weren't working properly.

And you are correct about windscreen washers. If its bad, take a spare 5 litre can.