Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with Female group of medals including a MM

ForeignGong

Hoping some one may be able to put a name to this group of medals. Has anyone done research on female MM's that may be able to help???

Any info much appreciated.

nurse.PNG

Hi JP

Many thanks, that is really great. Other than the WW2 medals, the groups would be the same. I found this photo on line with no indication as to who they were awarded to, you have narrowed the search. A bit more investigating to be done.

Thanks again

Peter

I don't know whether it is actually true, but I was once told that the military authorities banned the presence of women within a certain distance from the front line. Elsie and Mairi were specifically excluded by name from being covered by this ban.

Ron

Williamson Great War Medal Collectors Companion p.381 states 127 MM's were awarded to women.

Eligibility to women was extended in a Royal Warrant of 21 Jun 1916 published in the LG dated 27 Jun 1916.

The earliest awards were in the LG dated 01 Sep 1916.

As you would expect there is a lot on them on the Forum - click for links

In brief this is them

nurses.jpg.8161aad463c4695089e9665586c67e50.jpgnurses2.jpg.ecb3c64817f75263f5b45c9329fbeceb.jpgnurses4.jpg.241fa6414a6ff0055d2e9b73cff78692.jpgnurses3.jpg.d2276ffec3f0670e7b004af4afbe07ba.jpg

• 2 years later...
On ‎02‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 18:02, Ron Clifton said:

I don't know whether it is actually true, but I was once told that the military authorities banned the presence of women within a certain distance from the front line. Elsie and Mairi were specifically excluded by name from being covered by this ban.

Ron

Dorothie Fielding was also affected by that ban.

She had a few run-ins with British authorities who found her "blessé-looking" (in her own words) in Ypres and kicked her out of the city.  

Luckily for her, she had a lot of friends in high places (Amiral Ronarc'h, Baron de Brockeville) to back her up so she did very much as she pleased, sometimes also joining Elsie and Mairi in their cellar in Pervijse. when reading her letters, one sometimes has the idea that she was looking for the confrontation… she was a fantastic woman!

M.

Of course, neither women were entitled to the Clasp to the 1914 Star; another example of an over-zealous curator.

Mal

•