Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

DFCs for 2nd Lts. G. R. Moffoot & R. B. Gordon, Russia 1918

wwrsimon

Hello everyone,

If possible, I'm after an aircraft i.d. for the following incident, which took place in Russia in late 1918.

In the London Gazette of April 5th 1919 is the following citation for D.F.C. awards to two airmen serving in the Russian Expeditionary Force:

2nd Lt. George Robertson Moffoot (Murmansk)

2nd Lt. Robert Bisset Gordon (Murmansk)

These offficers displayed conspicuous gallantry in a recent bombing raid. While so engaged their engine was hit and the machine eventually crashed. Climbing out, they removed the L:ewis gun and set fire to the machine. Before they could make sure that the machine was fully alight they heard parties of the enemy approaching, and they escaped into the woods. After wandering about for two days they met a friendly hunter, who conducted them to our outposts. On reaching our lines these officers had to be admitted to hospital suffering from frost-bitten feet. A fine example of courage and determination.

From his R.A.F. records, I see that Moffoot was in hospital by November 20th 1918, and listed as 'dangerously ill,' this being updated to 'out of danger' by December 1st 1918. Gordon would die in the crash of Bristol Fighter F4447 of 20 Sqn, which crashed on March 20th 1920 in India on a bombing raid.

If anyone can offer an aircraft serial for the Russian episode, I'd be most grateful. I'm guessing possibly a Bristol Fighter or D.H.9...?

Regards

Simon

• 1 month later...
On 2/26/2018 at 01:28, wwrsimon said:

Hello everyone,

If possible, I'm after an aircraft i.d. for the following incident, which took place in Russia in late 1918.

In the London Gazette of April 5th 1919 is the following citation for D.F.C. awards to two airmen serving in the Russian Expeditionary Force:

2nd Lt. George Robertson Moffoot (Murmansk)

2nd Lt. Robert Bisset Gordon (Murmansk)

These offficers displayed conspicuous gallantry in a recent bombing raid. While so engaged their engine was hit and the machine eventually crashed. Climbing out, they removed the L:ewis gun and set fire to the machine. Before they could make sure that the machine was fully alight they heard parties of the enemy approaching, and they escaped into the woods. After wandering about for two days they met a friendly hunter, who conducted them to our outposts. On reaching our lines these officers had to be admitted to hospital suffering from frost-bitten feet. A fine example of courage and determination.

From his R.A.F. records, I see that Moffoot was in hospital by November 20th 1918, and listed as 'dangerously ill,' this being updated to 'out of danger' by December 1st 1918. Gordon would die in the crash of Bristol Fighter F4447 of 20 Sqn, which crashed on March 20th 1920 in India on a bombing raid.

If anyone can offer an aircraft serial for the Russian episode, I'd be most grateful. I'm guessing possibly a Bristol Fighter or D.H.9...?

Regards

Simon

Moffoot and Gordon were members of No. 3 (Bereznik) Squadron in North Russia which flew mostly DH9A's.

157.jpg

• 7 months later...

Dear Simon,

How did you find out the two capable and gallant airmen were flying an RE8...?

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Dear Simon,

How clever of your to have located Moffot's family.
Super!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Dear Simon,

Yes, the Great War Forum has worked 'miracles' for me, too!

Kindest regards,

Kim.