Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The DCLI at Verlaines

Stephen Gilbert

I am urgently requiring any information on an event that is about to celebrate its centenary and as a Cornishmen, I don’t want it to pass without recognition.  Here is what I have been told so far;

It was around midday on the 23rd March 1918 that the 1st/5th DCLI along with a number of the 61st Division were given orders to attack and take the village of Verlaines as part of an urgent counter attack to the German offensive and for this reason there was no time for reconnaissance.  The moved out from the cover of a railway cutting into open land 4000 yds from the village outskirts and as they readied themselves for the advance, the band of the 7th DCLI who had been holding the line there for some time, stepped up and played them “Trelawney”, the Cornish anthem to rally them.  Apart from being a touching story, it is surprising that the bandsmen of the 7th DCLI would have been on the front line complete with instruments and it is considered by many to have been the last occasion a British military force were played into battle.  I have discovered a local man who was given a trombone played by his grandfather Thomas (Tommy) Francis as a bandsmen in the 7th DCLI at that time so any information on the band of the 7th DCLI would be particularly of interest.

I would like to point out that I’m not a military expert and if I have got anything woefully wrong, please accept my apologies and put me right!

Just read the account of this action in The History of the 20th (Light) Division and there is no mention of the 61st Brigade battalions only 59th and 60th Brigades battalions.

The book is not as detailed as a war diary, but it gives the main account.

Brig Gen Duncan (60th Brigade) was ordered to attack and elements of 182nd Brigade were placed at his diposal.  Lt Col Bilton 61st Division was in command assisted by Major AE Sanderson, Brigade Major 60th Brigade.  They moved off at 1600 and launched the attacked from the main Ham-Nesle road 1500 yards west of Eppeville. The attack was delivered with great dash and drove back the enemy, captured Verlaines, and restored the situation - from The History of the 20th (Light) Division by Captain VE Inglefield.

Regards

John

20th Div GHQ summary of ops 21st March to 1st April

43112_2097_0-00537.jpg

7th DCLI Diary

43849_2126_0-00389.jpg

Many thanks for the responses. If there is anything else that can shine a light on the course of events on the 23rd March at Verlaines it would be much appreciated.