Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

9th Bn Essex Regiment - 1918 - R. J. H. MONTEITH

Martin Lepley

Private Robert John Henry MONTEITH (32006)

I have been researching People from Canvey Island Essex, England for some time now and I would love to find more of a guy in the 3/ 9th Bn Essex Regiment.

He sadly fell in conflict 6th September 1918 and obviously his 100th anniversary coming up soon.

I do have quite a bit of information about him, but would love to find a picture of him. Probably a tall order, I know.

Are there any personal diaries from the 9th Bn Essex that cover 1918? I did see a book "At some disputed barricade by Hugh Edwards" but looks like no-one selling it any more.

The book 'At some disputed barricade' is quite scanty in detail. The Essex Regiment Museum at Chelmsford has a copy, but it doesn't give much information. Have you consulted the war diary for the 9th, although other ranks don't usually get a mention unless they were recommended for a medal.  My great-uncle served in the 9th Essex too. He survived the war although he was badly injured in April 1918.

Sue

• Admin

There is also a reasonable collection of personal papers and at least one oral history held at the IWM, if you are close enough and have the time they may have a nugget tucked away somewhere. https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/search?query=9th battalion essex regiment&filters[periodString][First World War]=on&page=0

In any event good luck with your search!

Regards

David

On ‎25‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 16:15, suesalter1 said:

The book 'At some disputed barricade' is quite scanty in detail. The Essex Regiment Museum at Chelmsford has a copy, but it doesn't give much information. Have you consulted the war diary for the 9th, although other ranks don't usually get a mention unless they were recommended for a medal.  My great-uncle served in the 9th Essex too. He survived the war although he was badly injured in April 1918.

Sue

I was looking for the book 'At some disputed barricade'  but seems to be out of print. Looks like it wont be too much help, although when available I might get it.

On ‎25‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 16:49, DavidOwen said:

There is also a reasonable collection of personal papers and at least one oral history held at the IWM, if you are close enough and have the time they may have a nugget tucked away somewhere. https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/search?query=9th battalion essex regiment&filters[periodString][First World War]=on&page=0

In any event good luck with your search!

Regards

David

Thanks for that. I really do not like the new IWM search results pages. Looks so odd. I am in cotact with the IWM wrt 3rd ILC Middlesex Regiment personal diary. Still awaiting a response.

I am aware of the www.CanveyIsland.org site. Thanks

• 6 months later...

Martin, my grandfather (Stanley Richard Whaley) was a company commander and then adjutant in the 9th Essex during September-November of 1918. I have for the past four years been slowely putting together a book based on his personal diaries (1915-1919) combined with the war diaries and other publications.  He did initially serve in the 11th Essex until he moved to the 9th in 1917.  I also have a photocopy of the book "at some disputated baricade"  that was kindly given to me by the author ten years ago and is based on the diary of a bandsman of C Company 9th Essex, Bill Ball.

My Grandfather took part (A Company) in the same action as your man. I will provide you with three entries I have for the 6th Sept. 1918. My grandfathers entry  is understandably brief .

Grandad's diary 6th:

Attack and capture of Nurlu. Line advanced to Sorel Wood.

Grandad's diary 7th Sept:

Divison came into Corps Reserve owing to shortening of line after the advance.

at some disputated baricade 6th:

Although the Battalion was tired and suffering from shortage of water, an attack was ordered for 8.00am the following day (6th Sept) to support the Cambridgeshires, who had been ordered to take Nurlu village. The enemy were believed to be holding their line in some strenght but had effected a slight withdrawal on the left. The Essex had been warned to expect no support from their flanks. Captain Barltrop who was in charge of the Essex advance, took the view that the best hope lay in a frontal holding attack on the right flank from the support line. This was duly carried out with considerable success. The frontal attack was made by C Company, under Lt.Mussett and the other two companies inclined half-right in a co-ordinated movement.

Battalion History:

C Company swept victoriously thorugh the belts of wire and punished the enemy serverely, whilst A and D Companies rushed across the valley. The enemy were driven out being probably taken by surprise as the companies wentover with the opening of the barrage. The Cambridgeshires on the right were equally successful. It was a real feat of arms.

I have the full account of the action described above from the Burrows publication which includes the praise expressed by Captain Barltrop for the brave men that fought with him.

I did try to upload but for some reason it did not work.

I have a photo album from the period, but they are unfortunately all either landscape or close ups only of officers of the 9th, so I can't help there.

I do hope that the above is of assistance to your research.

Regards

Marco

Thanks Marco,

All information is appreciated.

Unfortunately I do not know what company he served with. There are 9 war dead from the 9th Essex in Fins New British Cemetery who perished that same day (6th September 1918) one of them identified as C Company.

Good luck with the book.

Martin

• 9 months later...

I am Lt Mussett's granddaughter and found this page by googling his name.  He did leave us some diaries and if I find further information, I will post this. He was always telling us stories of his time in France when we were growing up.  He also smuggled a camera (under his cap, I think), when he left England and we have many pictures from the trenches.

• 1 month later...
On ‎14‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 16:03, Nicola Mussett said:

I am Lt Mussett's granddaughter and found this page by googling his name.  He did leave us some diaries and if I find further information, I will post this. He was always telling us stories of his time in France when we were growing up.  He also smuggled a camera (under his cap, I think), when he left England and we have many pictures from the trenches.

WOW. That would be great.

• 3 years later...
On 24/02/2018 at 23:00, Martin Lepley said:

would love to find a picture of him. Probably a tall order, I know.

Have you tried looking fo a photo in local newspapers? - you could try British Newspaper Archive [also via Find My Past]

John Henry MONTEITH, 32001, Essex Regt. When his father, Robert, claimed a dependant's pension in early 1919 he was living at 2 Ladbroke Square, London W 11 = he got 5/- pw from 25.3.19 [father was apparently 73 and died 2.10.20] - See WFA/Fold3 pension records

Wishing you the best of luck.

M

4 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

Have you tried looking fo a photo in local newspapers? - you could try British Newspaper Archive [also via Find My Past]

John Henry MONTEITH, 32001, Essex Regt. When his father, Robert, claimed a dependant's pension in early 1919 he was living at 2 Ladbroke Square, London W 11 = he got 5/- pw from 25.3.19 [father was apparently 73 and died 2.10.20] - See WFA/Fold3 pension records

Wishing you the best of luck.

M

I do have information from local newspapers "Southend Standard". Sadly no photo and no reference of which company in 9th Essex he was in. He started out in the 2nd Essex, got shrapnel wound to nose, spend some time in Hospital then Convelescence in France for a short while then back in the war but in the 9th Essex. I guess 9th Essex getting a bit low of men.

FMP has a hospital admission record for him dated 23/5/18 for a shrapnel wound - nose. This was to 4 Stationary Hospital at Arques. He left there 4/6/18. At the time his unit was 2nd batt Essex Regiment. His discharge note say "Base by 38 AT" Ambulance Train. Not sure what that means. So not clear if evacuated to UK or not. Suffice it to say he may only have been with the  9th for a few months before his death and certainly no longer thann 3 months

The records says at that time he had served 1 y and 7 m and of that 1 y and 4m in theatre. So suggests service from late 1916 and went overseas in early 1917.  These entries should only be seen as approximate. 

The general timescales are supported by this bit in the Chelmsford Chronicle 4/10/18. Courtesy BNA

monteith.jpg.c0b6f1021354494c562d11f96e32d0f9.jpg

The same newspaper reports on Fri 13/10/22 that the wooden plaque wes dedicated by the Archdeacon of Southend (Canon Bayne) the previous Saturday - so on Sat 7/10/22. The plaque, it reports, was designed by Sir Charles Nicholson

No photo found. 

Edited by Mark1959

1 hour ago, Mark1959 said:

FMP has a hospital admission record for him dated 23/5/18 for a shrapnel wound - nose. This was to 4 Stationary Hospital at Arques. He left there 4/6/18. At the time his unit was 2nd batt Essex Regiment. His discharge note say "Base by 38 AT" Ambulance Train. Not sure what that means. So not clear if evacuated to UK or not. Suffice it to say he may only have been with the  9th for a few months before his death and certainly no longer thann 3 months

The records says at that time he had served 1 y and 7 m and of that 1 y and 4m in theatre. So suggests service from late 1916 and went overseas in early 1917.  These entries should only be seen as approximate. 

The general timescales are supported by this bit in the Chelmsford Chronicle 4/10/18. Courtesy BNA

monteith.jpg.c0b6f1021354494c562d11f96e32d0f9.jpg

The same newspaper reports on Fri 13/10/22 that the wooden plaque wes dedicated by the Archdeacon of Southend (Canon Bayne) the previous Staurday - so on Sat 7/10/22. The plaque, it reports, was designed by Sir Charles Nicholson

No photo found. 

I have seen the wooden memorial plaque as it was found in the church shed, and placed back in the church. From hospital he went to 1 convalescence depot in boulogne on 8th June 1918, dont know when he was discharged, and by 7th August he was in the 9th and righting his soldier's will. 

1 hour ago, Mark1959 said:

The same newspaper reports on Fri 13/10/22 that the wooden plaque wes dedicated by the Archdeacon of Southend (Canon Bayne) the previous Staurday - so on Sat 7/10/22. The plaque, it reports, was designed by Sir Charles Nicholson

8 minutes ago, Martin Lepley said:

I have seen the wooden memorial plaque as it was found in the church shed, and placed back in the church.

https://www.canveyisland.org/history-2/wartime-canvey/wwi/wwi_the_casualties/robert_j_h_monteith

Photo of plaque with biog. etc.

M

• 1 year later...
On 14/09/2018 at 21:28, whaley said:

Martin, my grandfather (Stanley Richard Whaley) was a company commander and then adjutant in the 9th Essex during September-November of 1918. I have for the past four years been slowely putting together a book based on his personal diaries (1915-1919) combined with the war diaries and other publications.  He did initially serve in the 11th Essex until he moved to the 9th in 1917.  I also have a photocopy of the book "at some disputated baricade"  that was kindly given to me by the author ten years ago and is based on the diary of a bandsman of C Company 9th Essex, Bill Ball.

My Grandfather took part (A Company) in the same action as your man. I will provide you with three entries I have for the 6th Sept. 1918. My grandfathers entry  is understandably brief .

Grandad's diary 6th:

Attack and capture of Nurlu. Line advanced to Sorel Wood.

Grandad's diary 7th Sept:

Divison came into Corps Reserve owing to shortening of line after the advance.

at some disputated baricade 6th:

Although the Battalion was tired and suffering from shortage of water, an attack was ordered for 8.00am the following day (6th Sept) to support the Cambridgeshires, who had been ordered to take Nurlu village. The enemy were believed to be holding their line in some strenght but had effected a slight withdrawal on the left. The Essex had been warned to expect no support from their flanks. Captain Barltrop who was in charge of the Essex advance, took the view that the best hope lay in a frontal holding attack on the right flank from the support line. This was duly carried out with considerable success. The frontal attack was made by C Company, under Lt.Mussett and the other two companies inclined half-right in a co-ordinated movement.

Battalion History:

C Company swept victoriously thorugh the belts of wire and punished the enemy serverely, whilst A and D Companies rushed across the valley. The enemy were driven out being probably taken by surprise as the companies wentover with the opening of the barrage. The Cambridgeshires on the right were equally successful. It was a real feat of arms.

I have the full account of the action described above from the Burrows publication which includes the praise expressed by Captain Barltrop for the brave men that fought with him.

I did try to upload but for some reason it did not work.

I have a photo album from the period, but they are unfortunately all either landscape or close ups only of officers of the 9th, so I can't help there.

I do hope that the above is of assistance to your research.

Regards

Marco

Your Grandfather may well have known my wife's great uncle, 2/Lt John Alick Bennett who died on 22 August 1918. He is buried in Meaulte military cemetry

I think they would have! I have gone through my papers but the only reference i have found is LT. Bennett listed as  kia on the 22nd in a intsum. 

20240301_221233.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

That is the man, 2/Lt John Alick Bennett from Hale End Road, Walthamstow Essex. his brother, Edward William served with the Royal Welsh Fusiliers (according to the Absent Voters List).

Thanks very much for your info, 

What is the "Burrows Collection"? Is it available?