Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Qualifying period for the 14 Medal

JohnBelcher

Have a question about the qualifying period for the 1914 Medal. Basically how long did the soldier have to serve in France and Flanders before he was eligible for the award of this medal.

Also I know that to be awarded the clasp/rosette, the soldier had to be actually underfire. Again, how long was this for, 1 day? A week?

My wife's grandfather's MIC says that his qualifying date was 11-11-14 but we are told that he served at Mons. I would assume that, if his qualifying date is Nov then he didn't arrive in France until early Nov(?) in which case I cannot see how he could have been at Mons. I assume that if this is the case then the confusion has arisen by the medal being known as the "Mons" star and the family making tha ssumption that he must have been at Mons?

61515 Dvr (later Sgt) Frederick Walter William Whittington. Q Bty, RHA

Many thanks in advance

John Belcher

John,

This is copied from the mother site.............

Cheers,

JAY

The least common campaign medal: the 1914 Star

Popularly but inaccurately known as the Mons Star.

This medal was awarded to all officers, warrant officers, non-commissioned officers and all men of the British and Indian Forces, including civilian medical practitioners, nursing sisters, nurses and others employed with military hospitals; as well as men of the Royal Navy, Royal Marines, Royal Naval Reserve and Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve, who served with the establishment of their unit in France and Belgium between August 5th 1914, and midnight of November 22/23rd, 1914.

The decoration consists of a lacquered bronze star, the uppermost ray of the star taking the form of the imperial crown. Resting on the face of the star is a pair of crossed swords, and, on them, is a circular oak wreath. A scroll winds around the swords : it is inscribed with the date Aug.- Nov. 1914. The ribbon is red merging into white and then into blue.

A bar inscribed "5 Aug. to 22 Nov. 1914" was given to all those who served under fire. Since the same ribbon is used with the 1914-15 Star, holders of the earlier award were permitted to wear a small silver rosette on their ribbon when the decoration itself is not worn. On the medal index cards this is usually noted as the "Clasp and Roses".

Note that men who served in Egypt and elsewhere at this time do not qualify for this medal. Note also that men who crossed to France after 23 November do not qualify for this medal, but the 1914-15 Star.

365,622 1914 Stars were issued.

A combination of the 1914 Star, the British War Medal and Victory Medal is often called a "trio", or "Pip, Squeak and Wilfred".

:)

Your relatives medal card (online at the PRO) will have a note pertaining to his qualification for the 14 or 14/15 star with date. Not many (if any) have annotations refering to the clasp/bar. You have to use the qualifying date to work this out.

The Official Letter which accompanies My Uncle's "1914 Star" reads as follows

"I am directed to transmit to you the accompanying "1914 Star" which would have been conferred upon No 20 Corpl G Souness,Royal Scots had he lived.It is now sent to you in memory of his services with the British Expeditionary Forces employed in France and Belgium between the outbreak of war and midnight,22nd/23rd November ,1914.

In forwarding this decoration I am commanded by the King to assure you of his Majesty's high appreciation of the services rendered."

My Uncle arrived in France with 1/8 Battalion Royal Scots on 5th November 1914.

George

Not many (if any) have annotations refering to the clasp/bar. You have to use the qualifying date to work this out.

Au contraire,

My experience is that almost without exception the issue of clasp and roses IS noted on the MIC, either under an IV (Issue Voucher) reference number and date for those who survived, or a general reference number for those who were killed/died during the qualifying period. There are many instances where those who were entitled to the clasp but became casualties AFTER the qualifying date did NOT get a bar because their Next of Kin did not claim it - it was not issued automatically, unlike the medals.

Regards,

Steve

Q Battery, RHA arrived in France with the 1st Indian Cavalry Division on 11 Nov 14. None of the officers serving with the Battery at that time received the clasp to the 1914 Star so I would assume that is probably also true of the other ranks. Regards. Dick

My experience is that almost without exception the issue of clasp and roses IS noted on the MIC, either under an IV (Issue Voucher) reference number and date for those who survived,

Does that mean that the reference a(?)/RGA/2315 on my grandfather's MIC refers to the issue of clasp and roses? There is no other reference to them although they exist on his medals and he was an Old Contemptible. His qualifying date is 27/8/14

Nigel

My experience is that almost without exception the issue of clasp and roses IS noted on the MIC, either under an IV (Issue Voucher) reference number and date for those who survived,

Does that mean that the reference a(?)/RGA/2315 on my grandfather's MIC refers to the issue of clasp and roses? There is no other reference to them although they exist on his medals and he was an Old Contemptible. His qualifying date is 27/8/14

Nigel

Nigel,

It's difficult to say. There is usually some clear reference to Clasp & Roses or sometimes just C & R. The reference you quote sounds very similar to a War Badge roll reference. Do you know whether he was awarded one? Where does this reference appear on the MIC - in the comments box?

Regards

Steve

Hopefully I have managed to attach the MIC.

If I haven't succeeded, the info is as follows.

No, he isn't entitled to a SWB, he served throughout the war in 4 Siege Battery RGA

The reference appears after the "Theatre of war" rubber stamp. I beleve that this is one of the less common styles of MIC but I can't find the help file which describes the different typed

Thanks

Nigel

mic.doc

Nigel: I can see nothing on the MIC that denotes that he was issued a date clasp to the 1914 Star. This does not surprise me, because as I mentioned earlier, none of the officers of his battery received the date clasp to their 1914 Stars. Regards. Dick