Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Book title/info required please?

Guest jhardima

Guest jhardima

Several years ago I picked up a book in Waterstones and made the mistake of not buying it! It was a day by day account of the 1st WWW, but covering each of the 3 fronts (East, West, South). Each page was split into 3 columns ie. 1 front per column and the book detailed an account (or maybe orders given as well) of what happened etc.

It was quite a thick book as you might imagine, about 4/5 inches, but other than that I cant provide any further info, can anyone help me with info to track it down and then buy it this time!?

Thanks

You may be thinking of the Chronology of the Great War which was first published in three parts between 1918 and 1920 by the Ministry of Information. It has since been republished by Greenhill. The book reflects the prejudice and propaganda of its time and should be treated with some caution as a reference. The entry for 1 July 1916 for example, gives the impression that the British did rather well.

• 2 weeks later...

[sound of tumbleweed rolling past...]

<_<

Think they've gone, Clive, but I'm sure they appreciated your effort...(well, maybe not, but others here do !)

Jim

Clive

Apologies for taking so long to respond. Thank you very much for the information, I will have a search and see if I can get a picture of the book to make sure its the one. I guess, I should really ask advice about what is the best book to advise of this kind of information ie. details of what happened on each day in each theatre of war?

Would you be able to advise about this?

Apologies once again

John

... I will have a search and see if I can get a picture of the book to make sure its the one. ...

There is a picture of the book here.

I have my doubts about its value as a reference so I asked for Pals' opinions about it some 12 months ago. I did not get a response so I take it the book is not well known. The thread is here.

• 2 weeks later...

Clive

Thanks once again, I have tracked down several book shops now so should soon be looking as to whether it is the book Im after. If it is and I buy it, I'll send a book review if youre interested.

Cheers

John