Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Surrey Cricket Club

Gareth Davies

I believe that there were 48 members of the SCC who were killed in the Great War.  Does anyone have a list of their names?  Or even a photograph of the roll of honour in the Oval?

Thank you yet again.  I am embarrassed that my search engine skills fell below the acceptable standard.  

• Admin

I believe Phil Wood is researching the Oval War memorial, might be worth contacting him?

Michelle 

Thank you.

Beat me to it!

2 hours ago, IPT said:

I believe it as at one end of the long room with the WW2 memorial at the other. I was a member for a few years, but could not remember it. I finally looked up the SCCC site.

RM

Though shown as sergeant on the board E Attwater (Ernest) had been commissioned into the MGC.  He was killed defending while has company was defending the river crossings just west of Brie on 23 March 1918.  Originally from Cuckfield, Sussex, he had moved (like three of his brothers) to south London for work in the years before the First World War.  He was on Surrey's ground staff.  He is also commemorated on several memorials in Cuckfield, the rolls of honour of the Central Council for Church Bell Ringers (at St Paul's) and those of the Surrey and Sussex ringers' associations, and also on the Arundel war memorial (his father-in-law being an Arundel town councillor, in fact the memorial seems to have been situated just outside what at the time was the father-in-law's butcher's shop!).

In London he worked as foreman carpenter for the building firm of John Stenton Daniels in Streatham.  Daniels was also the tower captain at Immanuel Streatham (badly damaged in the Second World War and now bell-less).  Attwater also rang with his brothers at St Leonard's Streatham.  He had been a territorial in Sussex before moving to London, and rejoined the Royal Sussex Regiment following the outbreak of war, joining the New Army 9th Battalion.  Given his previous TF experience, and probably his experience as a foreman, he was rapidly promoted to serjeant (it probably didn't hurt that the battalion CO was also a sportsman, albeit more of the Indian game hunting variety).  Having become a machine gunner he was transferred to the MGC and then commissioned.

His son, Mervyn Richard Attwater, was born just weeks before his death, Ernest's grave (somewhat isolated in Foucaucourt Communal Cemetery, and apparently buried there by the Germans) bears the inscription "UNTIL WE MEET YOUR LITTLE SON MERVYN".  Wg Cmdr M R Attwater DSO DFC served in Pathfinder Force in the Second World War and died in 1996, one of his sons had a 40 year army career until his retirement a year or so ago.

• 2 months later...

My book on the forty eight listed on this memorial has just been published .. available in the club shop at The Oval .....ten quid.

I can't find it on the website. Can you post a link please?

• 1 month later...

Thanks Phil, I have ordered a copy.

Edited by Gareth Davies

• 1 year later...
On 23/02/2018 at 12:45, David_Underdown said:

Though shown as sergeant on the board E Attwater (Ernest) had been commissioned into the MGC.  He was killed defending while has company was defending the river crossings just west of Brie on 23 March 1918.  Originally from Cuckfield, Sussex, he had moved (like three of his brothers) to south London for work in the years before the First World War.  He was on Surrey's ground staff.  He is also commemorated on several memorials in Cuckfield, the rolls of honour of the Central Council for Church Bell Ringers (at St Paul's) and those of the Surrey and Sussex ringers' associations, and also on the Arundel war memorial (his father-in-law being an Arundel town councillor, in fact the memorial seems to have been situated just outside what at the time was the father-in-law's butcher's shop!).

In London he worked as foreman carpenter for the building firm of John Stenton Daniels in Streatham.  Daniels was also the tower captain at Immanuel Streatham (badly damaged in the Second World War and now bell-less).  Attwater also rang with his brothers at St Leonard's Streatham.  He had been a territorial in Sussex before moving to London, and rejoined the Royal Sussex Regiment following the outbreak of war, joining the New Army 9th Battalion.  Given his previous TF experience, and probably his experience as a foreman, he was rapidly promoted to serjeant (it probably didn't hurt that the battalion CO was also a sportsman, albeit more of the Indian game hunting variety).  Having become a machine gunner he was transferred to the MGC and then commissioned.

His son, Mervyn Richard Attwater, was born just weeks before his death, Ernest's grave (somewhat isolated in Foucaucourt Communal Cemetery, and apparently buried there by the Germans) bears the inscription "UNTIL WE MEET YOUR LITTLE SON MERVYN".  Wg Cmdr M R Attwater DSO DFC served in Pathfinder Force in the Second World War and died in 1996, one of his sons had a 40 year army career until his retirement a year or so ago.

I actually have his medals in my collection possible grounds for a reunite??

Hi, as mentioned I'm in touch with one of Ernest Attwater's grandsons so I'd be happy to pass details on @kurbota

As Attwater's widow remarried, MR Attwater was largely brought up by his maternal grandparents and had little contact with the Attwater side of the family, so I think they'd be thrilled to be reunited with the medals. There was to have been a talk about him in Cuckfield this year, but that must now be in doubt given the current situation.

Happy to reunite i think i picked them up from a well known auction site the other year

If the Talk does go ahead let me know I would like to attend

regards Darren

If you message me with an email address I'll pass that on to the family.

The talk is scheduled to be at Cuckfield Museum on the evening of 2 June.

Maybe in pre-war TF days? Glad you've managed to get in touch

Ernest Attwaters medals have been reunited with Simon Attwater.

A nice little ending to the story.

Many thanks to David_Underdown for the connection, I must admit over the last few weeks since digging them out I have come quite attached to the young man,

he seemed destined to a active and good life before the war.

regards Darren

Great news. A bit of a personal favourite of mine too.