Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Shell Case

carninyj

Can anyone tell me a bit more about this shell case, actually a piece of trench art bought home by my son's great grandfather.

What calibre is it? It's 104 cms across the base at its widest point. It was obviously made in 1917 and I'm told the 'C F' means 'cordite full charge'. The 'RL' presumably refers to place of manufacture, e. g. 'Royal L ...'? Anyone know where? I can make nothing of the other marks. Do they mean anything?

Look forward to your views.

Rehards

Carninyj

post-23-1104769302.jpg

RL stands for Royal Laboratory, Woolwich, which is where the cartridge case was made. It tells you nothing, however, about when and where it was filled.

Hello,

If the 105 mm dimension is across the rim, the calibre of the gun would be somewhat less. I would suggest it would be the 18 pdr. The next largest gun was the 4.5" howitzer i.e about 110 mm. Not very precise, but may be helpful. The fairly modern field gun is 105 mm.

Regards

Old Tom

One of the shell cases that I have is about 103 cms in diameter and is marked 18 PR. It also has II marked under these letters.

Also on the base there are the letters EOC interlinked with a B underneath and it's dated 1917.

Thanks to you all for the replies.

The measurement is across the rim, and none too accurate. It isn't marked as an 18 pdr., though I thought that is what it might be. I understand they were the most common field gun and, as has been said, the next bigger guns are much larger.

Is there any chance it could have been an older, smaller calibre? Incidentally, at what point would brass cases have been replaced by charges in bags? 6 inch? 9.2inch?

Would the broad arrow & T indicate the case had passed a test for strength? If so, how would that be done?

Regards

Carninyj

Hello,

what is the lenght of the case?

The 18 pdr is 84x295 mm. with a rimdia. of 102 mm.

The 13 pdr-9 cwt is 76.2x295 mm. with a rimdia. of 103 mm.

The 4.5" is 114x74 mm. (mkI case) or 114x86 (mkII case) both with a rimdia. of 131 mm.

My guess it's an 18-pdr.

The I at 12 o'clock indicates the mark of the case. Usually above this is mentioned the calibre but due to polishing this can vanish over the years. (an ammunition collector for this reason doesn't polish his cases ;) )

Bag charges were used for 60-pdr, some 6" and everything above the latter but also for some smaller ones.

Regards Arie

Arie,

thanks for your imput. I cannot tell you the length; the case has been remodelled into a kind of vase, it being shortened for that purpose.

Regars

Carninyj