Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ASC in WW1

Guest AMcLaren

My grandfather (Charles Ardley Harris) was in ASC in WW1 and until 1933, at first in 52 Coy based in Aldershot. From 1924 he was in India. I have several photos and postcards, many undated. Would like more information. Can anyone help?

• Admin

Hi and welcome to the forum

There are a number of Charles Harris in the Army Service Corps in the MICs (Medal Index cards), if you have postcards might they have his service number on them as that will greatly help with the search

David

• Admin

Hello Alison

OK, that's not the end of the world as there are some very clever people on here (myself excluded!) who just love a puzzle and I am sure when they find this thread they will want to help.

Some questions that will help them in their search, don't worry if you don't know all the answers as any information is a start.

Firstly, how do you know what company he served with?

Do you have his WW1 medals?

What was his date and place of birth?

Did he marry and if so to whom?

Whilst we wait for those better at this than me take a look here as this might help you with your own research http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/how-to-research-a-soldier/ 

Hopefully we shall get some more info for you.

David

As he served beyond 1921 the MOD may have a record for him, how to obtain this is detailed here https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/requests-for-personal-data-and-service-records

Edited by DavidOwen
Added MOD link

Dear David

How kind of you to take such an interest.

We have a photograph of him wearing his medals.

As far as we can make out they are:

1914 Star

British War Medal

Victory Medal

India General Service 1909

Meritorious Service Medals up 1917 and 1917 on.

His name was Charles Ardley Harris (an unusual middle name but unfortunately 'Charles Harris' is common).

He was born in Woolwich on 13/04/1883. We have photos of him which he has labelled ASC 52 Coy.

We also have postcards from him in India pre 1914 but someone has told us that the ASC weren't in India pre WW1 and that it's possible he was in the Ordnance Corps then.

We know definitely that he was with the ASC in India from 1924 to 1929/30 because his wife and daughter (my mother) went with him and they told us about it and we have photos.

He retired in 1933 - this is in The Army Service Corps Journal of Sept 1933, p430. It appears that he was in 37 Coy Woolwich then.

I would be most grateful if you could help.

Regards

Alison

• Admin

Alison

Thanks for that information, I am not sure that I am the one to help, but am hoping some more experienced than me will spot this thread and come to your aid.

If you have any photos with a rank on them, that with the date of the photo may help.

Also to help stop others duplicating your own efforts it would help if you advise what research you have already done / tried?

If you have any ww1 postcards you may consider posting them on the "Postcards and posters" thread in the Other Great War Chat as that may lead others to take an interest.

David

Hello Alison,

Welcome to the forum.

If I could also make a suggestion, David has covered most of it.

If you start a new topic in the 'soldiers' section of the forum, with his name and ASC as the topic title, all the info you can on it and you should get the right people on to it. I'm unable right now as I'm not at my PC.

So if you close this one and say you've moved it so its not duplicated.

Good luck

Chris

Moved to Soldiers.

Keith Roberts

GWF Team