Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HQ Asquith's Bde RHA

David26

The MIC for a man I am researching (George Henry Colson) says that he started the war in the HQ of "Asquith's Bde" RHA.  Looking for that term across Ancestry reveals a small number of other men who appeared to be serving in that unit.

The LLT doesn't mention such a brigade and the only other reference to this unit I can find is on the Stockton-On-Tees memorial website which lists a man having served in it in 1904 and gives it another name of "2nd Indian".

Was "Asquith's Bde" still a real unit in 1914?  Or was it perhaps still being used anachronistically?

David.

The medal roll for Colson's 1914 Star indicates that he served with Askwith's Brigade (note the spelling). XII Brigade RHA at Meerut was commanded in August 1914 by Lt Col H. F. Askwith, and I assume that is the brigade in which Colson served.

Thanks Dick.  That's really helpful. 

His MIC (and that of half a dozen other men quoting the same unit) all had a qualifying date for the 14 Star of 7 November 1914.  Do you think that might suggest elements of the Bde HQ may have gone with V Bty to France as part of 2nd Indian Cav Div, since W Bty remained in India until much later in the war?  Sadly the page for that division on the LLT is being re-worked so there are no details of when it arrived in France. 

(Incidentally, the MICs for all of these men have the spelling as Asquith - but that could easily just be a mistake influenced by the fame of the former Prime Minister).

David.

David:  According to Order of Battle of Divisions, Part 5B: Indian Army Divisions Askwith's Brigade (XII Brigade, RHA) in August 1914 consisted of V and W Batteries, RHA and was serving in India with the 7th (Meerut) Division. Prior to that division going to France in October 1914 XII Brigade, RHA was broken up and V/RHA went with the 2nd Indian Cavalry Division as part of II Brigade, RHA in support of 7th (Meerut) Cavalry Brigade and W/RHA remained in India with 7th  (Meerut) Divisional Area until November 1917.

Thank you Dick.

That seems to reinforce the possibility that Colson was serving in XII Bde RHA and went to France at much the same time as V Battery.  One possible explanation is that Colson, along with the other 5 or 6 men of the old XII Bde HQ, may have been destined to join the HQ of 7th (Meerut) Cav Bde.

Sadly, despite him retiring from the Army on 20 March 1920, his service record doesn't appear to be at TNA for me to check.