Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Lt William Goss Hicks RGA 260th Siege Battery died of wounds3/7/17

Dee S

Any help would be appreciated in finding out more about his military history, in particular where he was when wounded on the 2/7/17, and a War diary entry if possible.He was taken to a casualty clearing station and died the following day. He is buried at Barlin  Communal Cemetery Extension. His medal card shows he enlisted in the RHA as a gunner, Regimental number 140133. Below that is KOS.B which I’m assuming stood for Kings Own Scottish Borderers then commissioned 4/4/16 2nd Lt RGA. 260th Siege Battery.

I have his census information and where he was teaching, Sevenoaks.

Any additional information would be much appreciated.

The 260th War Diary is here at the National Archives, downloadable for a small fee. After a quick search I can't locate it on Ancestry.

Mike

From the war diary of 260 Sg Bty, RA:

Coté de Caumont 2 Jul 17 2.30pm  Shell fire fell in battery position. Casualties, killed 3 gunners; wounded 2Lieut. W G Hicks, one serjt. and four gunners.

Coté de Caumont 3 Jul 17 4.40pm 2 Lieut. W G Hicks died of wounds.

From the National Union of Teachers War Record 1914-1919: 

Kent (West) Association. 2 Lieut. W G Hicks RGA, Lady Boswell's UDS, , Sevenoaks

Can anyone help with any information regarding his time in the RHA or KOSB? I don’t know when he enlisted I’m afraid or when he transferred from one to the other. I have accumulated lots of personal history for him but not having much luck with his military career.

His service record is held at Kew under WO 339/68751.

It is probably going to contain more on the settling of his estate, than military information, but you never know. If he was commissioned from the ranks, his earlier record should be in there.

Phil

On 14 February 2018 at 16:43, Dee S said:

Any help would be appreciated in finding out more about his military history, in particular where he was when wounded on the 2/7/17, and a War diary entry if possible.He was taken to a casualty clearing station and died the following day. He is buried at Barlin  Communal Cemetery Extension. His medal card shows he enlisted in the RHA as a gunner, Regimental number 140133. Below that is KOS.B which I’m assuming stood for Kings Own Scottish Borderers then commissioned 4/4/16 2nd Lt RGA. 260th Siege Battery.

I have his census information and where he was teaching, Sevenoaks.

Any additional information would be much appreciated.

Hi,

In case you've not seen this, might be of interest.

https://sevenoaksww1.org/2017/06/30/echoes-across-the-century-a-memorial-for-william-goss-hicks/