Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I Toc (Intelligence Telephone)

alistair_m

Hi

Im hoping that some knowledgeable member of the forum could provide a little more information about the "I-Toc" or Intelligence Telephone System.  From what I can work out, the system was effectively a listening device, that consisted of some kind of "V" shaped induction loop, that could intercept enemy transmissions.

My grandfather, Lt BB Murdoch (initially RFA), transferred to 2nd Division Signals as Wireless Officer at the end July 1917 and was apparently present at an IToc Course on joining the Signals.

There doesn't seem to be much info around on the WWW unfortunately.

Regards

Alistair

• Admin

Hi Alistair

Couldn't find anything matching exactly but have you seen this, looks like a good source of info http://blogs.mhs.ox.ac.uk/innovatingincombat/ which lead me to this which looks fascinating https://archive.org/stream/signalserviceine00prie#page/n7/mode/2up

Best wishes and good luck!

David

Just found on page 107  of the second link (use the search term "overhearing" reference to a French device, known to the British as the "I.T" set. And the description of what it does fits with listening in on the enemy's communications. Perhaps "ITOC" may have been IT (set) Officer's Course?

Edited by DavidOwen
additional info

Wehey!  Thanks very much David.  I've just downloaded the RE Signals as a PDF - its looks to be exactly what I'm looking for, for the bigger picture.  Many thanks!

Alistair

• Admin
22 minutes ago, alistair_m said:

Wehey!  Thanks very much David.  I've just downloaded the RE Signals as a PDF - its looks to be exactly what I'm looking for, for the bigger picture.  Many thanks!

Alistair

Most welcome

If you use the search term "overhearing" it will take you to pages which discuss the French IT set and the later earth/power plate device which might be the one you are describing as the French IT set used 3 valves.

Good hunting

David

31 minutes ago, alistair_m said:

Alistair

Hi

Other sources of information on the I-T system are 'The British Army and Signals Intelligence During the First World War' edited by John Ferris, Army Records Society, 1992.  Also there is 'Haig's Intelligence' by Jim Beach, Cambridge, 2013, and 'Communications and British Operations on the Western Front, 1914-1918' by Brian N Hall, Cambridge, 2017, but the latter two there is only limited information.

Mike

3 hours ago, DavidOwen said:

Perhaps "ITOC" may have been IT (set) Officer's Course?

Perhaps not: 'Toc' was the phonetic alphabet's 'T', as in 'TocH'.

D

For details of life in I Toc I suggest

'The diary of Corporal Vince Schurhoff, 1914 - 1918'  Editor: Beach, Jim  The History Press for the Army Records Society, 2015.  

As his name suggest Vince was of German descent and employed in I Toc as an Interpreter Operator (Wireless), intercepting and translating German communications.